Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:40:39 PM

Author Topic: Little help Please  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
Little help Please
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
I just had a computer  crash  >:( but  luckily I had a backup of all files on Mach and am using a different laptop.I was using a Toshiba with the smoothstepper .And I have copied my Licence file in so that Is working it is licensed to me on start up.
  I copied the XML file into the Mach directory where the old one was. I ran the driver test and get great strem sometimes and too high sometimes ,but found a thread to fix that , But my question is what file is the PORTS AND PINS configuration in? I thought that was the XML file , but when I open Mach and check the pin configuration everything is blank nothing checked pins not noted or anything. SOOO nothing runs and I know there is a file somewhere that I can copy to Mach from my old backup..
  So which file do I need to put in Mach to get the ports and pins to change?
Thanks
Gary

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Little help Please
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:24:52 AM »
It is the xml that holds all the config info, possibly you are opening the wrong profile or have copied over the wrong xml.

If you are using the SmoothStepper then the driver test is of no concern.
Hood

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:38:13 AM »
Thanks Hood,
   I found that last night I was hitting the wrong profile, but now I get the movement in the DROs but not through smoothstepper,, I am going to re-load the smoothstepper driver and see if that will help. Seems like the only time my computer crashes is when I have a rush job to get out a part to a job..And now using a un-familiar computer doesent help either..
Thanks
Gary

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »
You need to tell Mach to use the SS as the motion device. Go to Function Cfgs->Reset Dev Sel. The next time you restart Mach it will ask you which motion device to use, select the SmoothStepper.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »
Thanks Jeff that was the problem , I found it going to the smoothstepper site while away from here  but that was exactly the problem..I am going to make a checklist to re-install all of this in case I have to re-format my other computer when it gets back from the repair people..
Thanks for all the help as ussual on the forum here guys..
Gary

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 10:13:44 AM »
Glad you got it sorted...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
Thanks Hood and Jeff,
   I did write up a notepad install sheet in case there is a next time ,,, pins ports speeds accell and axis reversal and all..I am planning on getting a different computer just for the machines to run and have it loaded with just the bare minimums to run my Cad Cam and Mach control.. I am hoping that this might cure some crashes , but it is in a non climate controlled garage so heat and humidity cant be good on the computer out here , but I was thinking about putting walls around my controller shelf with a new small format desktop computer and add a few computer fans to it to keep it with a possitive air pressure with a filter on the fan as well. My brother works out at Pratt Whitney and thats what they do if they have to run or take a computer out in a non climate controlled area so the electroncs have a better climate to work in , he says just the cleaner air and a very little positive air pressure around the componants might help.At least that is what the techs out at Pratt suggest..
Thanks Again
Gary