Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:48:05 AM

Author Topic: 5C Collet Fixture/Closer  (Read 4677 times)

5C Collet Fixture/Closer
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
Hello friends and neighbors,
  Anyone have experience with the 5C fixture type pictured ?
I have never used one but see Hardinge models as well as imports that look nearly identical (lesser quality though I am sure).

I assume it has a plain type bearing like the basic indexing fixture Simpson36 modified for his 4th axis...very nice btw. I have one of this type as well.

I am considering building the main housing and using radial ball bearings so it can spin continuously but what I need to know is if the closer portion of the fixture in the pick is the same, or similar to a standard manual closer on a small lathe. Will this closer operate just like the ones on a lathe ?  Are there bearings in it to allow it to run 1000 rpm cont. while closed ?

Thanks much for any assistance,
Russ
 :)
Re: 5C Collet Fixture/Closer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
OK then....plan B it is.
I'm not going to buy one just to find out.

Thanks anyway folks,
Russ

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
Go on Russ, buy one - we all want to know the answer now.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
I doubt that there are bearings in the fixture. I am also going to guess that the closure handle is sort of cam driven to pull back / tighten
the 5C thus would need to modify it. I don't know how roburst you want something  it to be, but you can purchase a 5c mini mill head complete and then all you would need to do is adapt a mounting plate. I know it's  cheaper than that fixture.
FWIW,
RICH
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
I did find an exploded view of the unit pictured. The closer and "latching" is very similar to a spindle unit but there is no mechanism to lock the drawbar to the spindle to maintain the collet travel, that is to keep it from unscrewing or getting tighter. Also, there is no bearing at the "throw out" fork so there would be a bit of wear going on there if run continuously.....the lever wouldn't operate well while spinning either, a must.

Got a link Rich ? I never saw a 5C mill spindle with a collet closer on it before.
This fixture is $100-150. All I would be using is the spindle and the closer.

Thanks Men,
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:01:50 PM »
Russ,
Oops, thought it was 5C but it was an R8 spindle. I think the one i bought was from Little Machine Shop?
I actualy bought the complete head and column....seems prices have gone up.
Too much good junk in the basement, ;)

RICH