Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:41:11 PM

Author Topic: X axis moving in only one direction?  (Read 4681 times)

X axis moving in only one direction?
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
I am hoping someone can help me out.
What happened was I was running my cnc router with mach3 using zeta4 drives and slo sym motors 300 oz/in and the x motor overheated and the axis would not move anymore. So I let the motor cool down and tried to move the X axis but it would only move in one direction using both the + and - jog keys,I checked the settings and the hotkeys are still set properly can anyone give me any ideas on what might of happened here?

Thanks Mike ???
Re: X axis moving in only one direction?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:08:41 AM »
I think the problem is not motor.
However, you test it. IF both axis are identical of motor(i mean X and Y) you can Displace motor X with motor Y.
and test motor X with Driver Y.

Amir
**Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day**

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »
Would say the drives are likely to be the culprit. Not familiar with the Zeta4 drives but if they are separate drives swap out the good axis for a bad one and see if the problem follows the drive.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:44 AM »
when you say overheated - how hot? - steppers can get hot. If you'd have burned your fingers - that's overheated. Overheating won't do a motor any good at all but AFAIK won't cause the problem you describe.
If it did indeed overheat - why? - are your drive dips set according to your motor specs and how you have it wired.
Unlikely to be the motor that is causing the one-way-only problem - steppers (all motors?) work both ways or not at all.
Have you inadvertantly flipped from step/dir to CW/CCW setting on your drive?
Is your dir wire still connected?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:14:04 AM by stirling »
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
I switched drives and it does the same thing,but I noticed that Im getting a message that says softlimits system movement aborted?

Does this help at all?

Thanks Mike

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
I switched drives and it does the same thing
So the X (hot) motor now works fine and doesn't overheat on the "Y" drive but the Y motor overheats and doesn't reverse on the "X" drive?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »
That message is because you are outwith the SoftLimits you have set up. Disable the softlimits so you can jog but obviously be careful as you jog as there will not be any soft limit protection.

If you swapped the drives and the problem stayed with the axis then carefully check the wiring to make sure it is OK, if it is then if you have a volt meter disconnect the port cable from the breakout board and check between your Dir pin and a Gnd pin on the cable. The Dir pin voltage should change between 0v and 5v depending on direction you jog. If it does then it is likely your breakout board.

Hood