Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:03 AM

Author Topic: Tapered Pocket  (Read 6444 times)

Tapered Pocket
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:37:40 AM »
Can anyone point me towards milling a tapered circular pocket?  I have Alibre CAM and Meshcam and I can get a stepped pocket but have not been able to achieve a smooth side.

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Tapered Pocket
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
Larry,

Using a ball (or bull) nose end mill will get you as close to a smooth wall as is possible by CNC milling. To get a real smooth wall you then have to sand it. Also, depending on the taper angle there are tapered end mills available for small angles, but these are usually very expensive.

Daniel
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
Smaller balls and smaller stepover.  Starts to take a long time though!

Best,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 06:31:30 AM »
All a question of economics. If you're doing more than a few tapered pockets it would be worth having a tool made. Just a short angled section would do to get a perfectly smooth side very quickly. A ball cutter will take ages and still not make a really smooth side.

Or, you could use a regular slot drill to get a stepped side hole and hand ream the angle if you can get a reamer the right size, or design the pocket to suit the reamer (if suitable for this).

it depends on your needs in terms of volume and accuracy really. Hope this helps :)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »
If I'm wanting something to be smooth as possible when using a ball/bull cutter, I try to use the largest diameter cutter I can get by with.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »
Guy's thanks for your replies.  I have been playing around with this and am getting there.   I've been using a small ball mill (3mm).  I'll have to give a larger one a try and see how that looks.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
Can you cant/angle the part and make like its a pocket. this is the 'part' that kills me , sooo many options:)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 03:07:47 AM »
Sketch what you are wanting, it sounds as if you would need a 4th and or 5th axis if you want to get into compound angles.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:19:54 AM »
If you just need a tapered side for a mould or something similar, you can get tapered milling cutters. Have a look at
http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp
for an example.

Cheers