Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:14:25 AM

Author Topic: What Steps/ Units Settings for Z-axis (Quill) of CNC Retrofitted Radial Machine?  (Read 29198 times)

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Looks to be working well :)

Think I would be spinning slower and feeding harder though.

Hood
Yaa.. The system is working well now... Following is my experience:

1- The HSS drill failed on the Second hole... I kept the RPM 800 and G73 cycle with Peck 6mm.. It simply toasted;) Flood coolant was On... 2min/hole

2- The second bit is used was Carbide, It ran for 30 holes and then suddenly break into 3 pieces... Again G73 peck cycle but with 2.5mm peck... 2 minute/hole

3- I then used  HSCO drill and with G83 Cycle, lost it after 38th hole with 2.5mm peck... Coolant on.. 7minute /hole

4- Keeping all above experience in view, i again used HSCO drill but at this time G83 with 2mm peck (DOC) and after each 15 holes i sharpen the drill.. For this i added tool change command after each 15 holes in my Gcode.. i slightly changed the Gcode for downtime...
The above strategy went very good and i did above 100holes without breakage... 5minute /hole

5- I have HSS drills available, so i tried the same G83 cycle with them with 2mm peck and sharpening after each 15 holes..and i did 50 holes without loosing HSS drill.. 4.5min /hole

I have done 224 holes in 16.8 hours.

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Started building new Spindle and its houseing.. The Spindle is off AISI 4140 hardened to 55HRC... and now it require grinding... The Vertical column is also in fabrication phase.. I will get red of complete Radial drill except the Cross-slides..
The New column is very sturdy..

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
New spindle etc looks like it will be a big improvement :)

I have never had much luck with carbide drills in stainless, 8% cobalts  are best for me,  you have to feed them hard as any rubbing at all and the stainless work hardens very quickly, I would probably spin an 8mm at about 600rpm and feed at 40mm/min in 316. I also try and make sure the coolant is pointed directly into the hole with a strong jet.
Hood

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Hi Hood ,
I have now to enlarge these 8mm holes to 9.5mm... Now I am going to do it with Standard Drill Cycle (G81).. Is it right? what mm/min i should travel the drill and at what RPM?
Regards

PS:
or anyother suggestions for 9.5mm holes.!!!

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Here is the updated pictures of spindle housing being machined on Boring Mill and the completed tube sheet.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Khalid,
Thats not a great situation to be in, I think the drill will grab a lot due to the small amount you are going to be removing, I think I would try an endmill to enlarge rather than a drill.

Looks like you have some nice big machines :)
Hood

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Hi Hood,
Today I finished the tubesheet drilling with final hole size 9.5mm..
You were right the drill grabed long swarf ..However I Gcoded to stop the machine after each 5 holes... Following was my strategy..

Spindle RPM: 400 RPM
Feed: 3 IPM
Peck Cycle: G73 with 3mm per peck
Time to complete One hole: 1minute 5 seconds

I drilled all the holes within 5Hours.. You can see the video in the following youtube link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2X_W2MHBY

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Looks to be working great :)

Hood

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Today I just experimented drilling on Multilayered baffles of the exchanger. Each single  baffle has a thickness of 3mm, total baffles in One Bundle= 18. Total thickness to drill= 55mm. We have used 8mm HSS drill and after TEN thorough holes the HSS drill was sharp as new.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Do you machine the outer profile at a later stage? If yes, how do you do that, lathe?

Hood