Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Author Topic: Where is the wisdom accumulating?  (Read 3812 times)

Where is the wisdom accumulating?
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:53 PM »
When I search for various topics I get huge lists of threads, many of which have nothing to do with the subject I have in mind, and it takes ages to search through them. Usually I give up after the first hundred without finding anything relevant to my problem. Cryptic and irrelevant headings don't help, and some threads never reach any definite conclusion.

Where can we put the important information once all the discussion has come to a conclusion? I'm thinking of a growing online manual which would include everything known so far about, for instance, each G code command. This would be the first place to look for information, and would save the same questions being asked over and over again. Should the Wiki pages be used for this? There doesn't seem to be a space for G codes.  I'd like to see at least one page for each G, M or F code. For example, I have only written a few simple programmes but I feel I could improve the descriptions of G90 & G91 and G51, having had to use them intensively, and would aim to do the same for any other codes I have to use.

The hope would be to distil out the best descriptions of programming techniques, together with simple examples, and put them somewhere where they will be found easily. Eventually this could replace the printed (printable) manual, or be incorporated into it.
Keith  S. Angus

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the wisdom accumulating?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »
ksangus,
Don't have a direct answer for you. CNC covers so many related topics that it takes a book to just cover one topic.
Many times that is what happens in a thread, since the answer to the post needs to address a number of related issues.
For example, G code, you may want to consider the Smid series of cnc programing books as additions to your library of info
yet still save replies when found to be of interest.

Yes, you see similar questions asked, but when stumped isn't it nice to have an answer to suite a particular need in a timely fashion and yet get insight
on the issue at hand.

I could say that the Mach manuals could be improved and expanded upon and would reduce the questions asked, but, the manual may turn into a 1000
pages and thus the intent of the manual would be lost or still wouldn;t cover "everything". It's really tough to do and one of those manuals took 6 months. Mach is so configurable and finding a focused summary on something requires a lot of understanding.

The Members Docs provides a place to post summaries on a topic manner of common occurrence.
Maybe you can do a write-up on something that strikes your fancy?

RICH