Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:06:59 AM

Author Topic: more port and pins question  (Read 10665 times)

more port and pins question
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:13:58 AM »
Hi all-

I have been reading the forums for several weeks, and I am more confused now than ever.  But on the bright side, I finally have my 6 x 12 oxy/ propane table running good enough to make parts.

Here is my question.  I am trying to add a fault circuit to my table, and the best OEM code I can find to stop the motion of the table is OEM 1021.

When I set up the ports and pins in the input config page I have set OEM trigger #4 to port 2 pin 3
then on the hotkeys setup page I have OEM #4 set to 1021.
I have also emulated OEM trigger #4 to the "F" key

When I short (jump together ) the two terminal on the I/O board I can see the RAW Ports and Pin change states, but nothing else happens
When I press the "F" key, the raw ports and pins led changes states, and the system goes into reset.

I am using granite devices servo drives
I am using the BOB from candcnc

I am sure that I am missing something simple.  any ideas?

Steve
for some reason I cant post the pictures.  I will try to edit the post later and add the pictures
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:18:06 AM by scrambled »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: more port and pins question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »
Not sure if I am following but if all you are wanting to do is stop execution of G Code when an input becomes active then you can use Input 1 for that. Have a look on General Config page, lower left and you will see where to enable that function.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:04:42 AM »
Hood-

Thanks for the info on using input #1.  It should work for what I want, but it does not :(

When I short the two terminals together on the BOB, now the LED labled input #1 turns on, and the RAW ports and pin LED in my first post turn on. 

It just appears that Mach does not know what to do with the information once it is recieved.

Any other ideas?

thanks for the help

Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:58 AM »
What are you expecting it to do?
It works fine here, what it does is, will not allow G Code to run if Input 1 is active and if Code is running it will stop execution of that code if Input 1 becomes active.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »
Hood-

I am using Granite Devices for my servo drives.  My gantry is large, and it uses 2 servos. Every once and a while I will get a fault on one of the servo drives, and one drive stops.  The other is strong enough to make the gantry still move, but it does not travel square, and I scrap whatever part I am making.

I have a relay that turns on when any of the drives fault.  I am wanting to take the dry contacts from the relay, and connect them to the I/O board.

The problem is that MACH is not responding to any input.  The RAW port and pins on the diagonstic page showes that the signal is getting to the computer, it is just that MACH is ignoring it.

Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:30:35 AM »
Hi Steve  Silly question you said you configured to port 2 you are using two ports from the computer ? and you have set up both ports in config ? I notice from your screen shot on pins you have a port 8 ?
If you only have one port set up then you would still get the led's to light up but they couldn't do anything

Paul
Did say it may be a silly question
If it can't be fixed with a hammer then it must be an electrical fault
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
Weldsol-

The port "8" is part of the design from candcnc.  It is some type of virtual port.  I do have 2 parallel ports installed.

At this time there are no silly questions.  I am sure it is something simple, I just can't find it.

Steve

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
Hi scrambled - have you ticked "Program Safety Lockout" as Hood advised?

Ian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
Now I understand  what you are doing I think if I were you I would have a real E-Stop. I have this setup on my lathe and mills so that if any of the drives fault it switches a relay which will in turn remove the enable from all the other drives, it will also break the software E-Stop string. With that All drives stop due to hardware and further Mach gets put into reset.

If you didnt want it like  that  then you could do as I said with the programme inhibit but problem with that is as soon as you reset the drive the code would continue unless you have pressed Reset or have a Brain or macropump do that.You could also simply have a Brain look at an input and if it sees it it will do an E-Stop.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
Stirling-  Yes I did check the "Program Safety Lockout"  and nothing happened.  Using the diagnostic screen, I can watch "input 1" turn on and off.

Hood-

My setup has 6 physical e-stops mounted around the table.

If you are bored, here is a link to my table on cnczone
http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33773

so is there any other type of input mapping? 

Steve