Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:34:55 PM

Author Topic: Ref Z-axis  (Read 3439 times)

Ref Z-axis
« on: May 02, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
Hello,

I have a problem with referencing the z-axis of my plasma table. When I push the ref-all button the X and Y axis are referencing well, but the Z-axis does not move at all. When I push the ref-Z button in the settings screen it works well. Why does the Z-Axis not ref. with the ref-all command. Any help is welcome.

Regards,

Remco

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Ref Z-axis
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
Have a look in the RefAll button and see if it has DoButton(24)  in it, if not put it in and it will Reference the Z as well.
To edit the button you go to operator menu then Edit Button Script option, the RefAll will be flashing, click on it and then the editor will open for you to view and change the script.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
Plasmas don't always USE the refZ to actually ref the z axis like a router or mill would do.

Being basically a 2D process they normally only use  the RefZ to find the top of material.

So if you included the Z in RefAll it may not be able to ref the z as it does not have anything(material) to ref to so it may drive deep into the table or until it hits the limit if it has one.

So for a plasma the norm is to REFALL X&Y then have the RefZ as a separate function.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:43:38 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the help, with the RefAll button modified it works well. I only use the ref Z function because I want my torch in upper position when referencing the X and Y axis. During the cutting I want to use a THC from Campbell with a floating heat switch for the initial height.

Again thanks a lot for the reply's

Regards,

Remco

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
The problem you will run into IS that with a floating head you have to set up the Z to ref DOWN to the top of the material not UP.

So once you have that set up there is no easy way to change the direction of homing so when you do a ref all it will try to refZ going down instead of up. IF there is no material for it to touch it keeps going down into the table gaps or trips the limit if you have one.

I find it best to setup SAFEZ to be a value above Z0 that is an incremental move say 4" that way when ever you need to move the head away from the table you can use safeZ.

Hope that helps