Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:13:35 AM

Author Topic: My Frankenstein  (Read 18973 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: My Frankenstein
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 08:02:32 AM »
No, believe it or not it is for a hotrod tractor. They run it in tractor pulls.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline patrick71100

•  14 14
  • HURCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 03:18:50 PM »
BRETT,
I THOUGHT YOU WERE KIDDING,YOUR NOT COOL HARLEY ROD ,I LIKE THE IDEA OF STEPPERS FOR SIMPLICITY,HOW FAST CAN IT GO WITH STEPPERS AND WHAT VOLTAGE  IS YOURS.
TUNING THE SERVO DRIVES WAS THE TOUGHEST PART OF MINE,ATLEAST WITH THE RUTEX DRIVES THE PID TUNING THE   I INCORPERATES THE FOLLOWING ERROR,SO WHEN MACH SAYS MOVE .100 IT MAY MOVE .097  OR A LITTLE OFF
THE MAKES IT STAY AT .100 UNDER CUTTING LOAD,EXAMPLE IF MACHINE WAS STILL AND YOU TURNED BALLSCREW
THE I WOULD FIGHT YOU BACK OR RETURN IT TO THE X .100

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »
Hey Patrick,
    I can only run the x & y at 90 IPM safely. I could rapid at about 130 IPM if I didn't like the safety factor. I replaced the lead screws with adjustable preload ball screws, .200 lead. The steppers are 1780 oz. in. runnning at 65 volts, gearing is 1-1. The rods are for a tractor, not a Harley. I was amazed at how well the little machine handled the job. I roughed them out with a .750 4 flute carbide end mill taking a depth of cut of .260 at 28 IPM. It took 5 passes as the material was 1.250 thick. Your right about the nice circles Mach does. However, the bores were finished with a boring bar as well on these. I only ran the profile for a friend who is a manual machinest. He finished the bores and bolt holes. At times, I wish I had gone with servos but then again the little machine is not the most rigid foundation and the steppers have served me well so far. The nice thing about the steppers is that if I do screw up, not that I ever have ;D, the machine shouldn't destroy its self before they stall. Lucky me had a friend that had set Mach up on a machine of his that helped with the project. He designed the first controls to fit in an old cabinet I had and wired it for me. He brought it over one evening, we wired it up in about 30 minutes, and cut a wood rod that night for testing. I have all new components for a new control cabinet that will house everything, monitor and all. I also have some gas springs ordered to help the stepper with the knee.

Brett

Hood

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »
stop yer yappin and get that bloody cabinet finished, I bet you are still going to be doing it when I eventually get my lathe up and running :D

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »
LOL, I probably would have finished it already if it weren't for a Red Neck Fifer teaching me so much.  ;) I figure I better listen to him while he is around, at his age you never know how much longer he will be with us. :D

Brett 

Hood

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »
Didnt know you had been conversing with Mr McGrath, hes the only Fifer I know and yes he is getting on a bit ;)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
Hood, let me clear this up. Are you telling me he is an old Red Neck Fifer too? I didn't relize there were more than one of you.........I mean them, in the world. :D

Hood

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 04:43:36 PM »
Fortunately there was a piece of water between my place of birth and the Kingdom of Fife. there are many many Fifers but they are best left trapped between the Tay and the Forth, Mr McGrath is one of the slightly better ones and he is allowed day release over the Forth and occasionally he is also allowed North over the Tay.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »
LOL Hood, you haven't missed a step today.

Brett

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17:33 AM »
"LoL Hood,you have not missed a step all day"
Unfortunately you can`t say the same about his mill.It steps away when no one is near it.Well it does when i`m there.
You seem to be a bit muddled Brett,Hood is not a Fifer.We think he is a Dundonian from Dundee.He has very,very deep pockets and short,short arms and is extremely careful with his pennies which is classic Dundonian behaviour.
He is not getting on so well with the lathe although I did go up to help him power it up.In fact the top half of your avatar reminds me of his home built rectifier the day we put power on it.
We have also had him down in Broxburn running a milling machine for us.Obviously we programmed it and just let him close the vice and push the cycle start.It was good experience for him to run a real cnc control even if it was on a Bridgeport and gave him some extra pennies.Besides we needed his screws for the QC30 nut.
Once he has rebuilt the rectifier I will go back up and help him set up his servos once he can afford me.
Mark.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:19:45 AM by Gridley51 »