Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:50:33 AM

Author Topic: Can anyone make a "normal" windows screen design please? 0:-)  (Read 38703 times)

Hi guys.

It seems that I have to change my cnc software because mach3 has all functions I ever missed.  8)
BUT... why are these screen designs so crazy? My eyes are bleeding!  ;D

Is there any reason why there is no "windows looking" screen design available?

I want to have it look like this...

Thanks,
Roelli.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Can anyone make a "normal" windows screen design please? 0:-)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
Mach3 doesn't use standard windows controls, so to make it look like a Windows program would be difficult.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »
Mach3 doesn't use standard windows controls, so to make it look like a Windows program would be difficult.

Okay, but it's a pity!
The surface looks like a playgarden. Very colored. ;-)
I thought it would be easier to make a windows-like surface. The buttons seem to be jpgs. Wouldn't it be possible to make a grey background with the windows shadowed windows buttons?

Iam getting dizzy when using CAD, DOS-like programs and 3D games - dunno why.  >:(

Cheers,
Roelli.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
Sure, it would be possible, but might take a lot of time.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
Sure, it would be possible, but might take a lot of time.

but the software probably sells better ;-) Two years ago I  decided not to use mach3 because of the screen design! (which seems to be a mistake because mach3 has all the features iam missing with the software iam using now) :-(

I thought its possible to use an existing screen design, make new buttons and you're done? There are some "button-maker" apps for creating webpage menus - they might work for creating a windows like screen design?

Roelli.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »
Roelli,

Why not try the screen designers available for this very reason?

Those are very nice (FREE!!!) gifts from the makers  that took a lot of time to create them and worth trying  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:44 PM »
Why not try the screen designers available for this very reason?
Those are very nice (FREE!!!) gifts from the makers  that took a lot of time to create them and worth trying  ;)

I think I HAVE to try them ;-) I don't know the reason but I can't use CAD Programs... after some time I get a headache!
That never happens as long as the programs look like ALL other windows programs...

This is the cnc software iam using now...

I even bought an USB controller for 800€ to control the machine. (incl. buffer for the cnc data)
But now I need the touch probe feature and other nice things which seems to work with mach3.

And I also have to buy relais pcbs, optocoupler cards, mach3 software license and rewire everything. Thats a big step.
I looked at mach3 years before and was deterred because of the screen design without looking at the features.  ??? ;D

Roelli.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
This morning I started taking the first steps to creating a new screen, tentatively called "Mach XP".

I quickly remembered what the most difficult part of screen design is - Figuring out what goes where, and what's needed. The 50-100 hours I'll spend in Photoshop is the easy part.

I'm thinking a 2 screen solution, with auto probing (and other stuff) on the current jog flyout, like in my Aqua screen. One main screen, and one diagnostics/settings screen.

Since it'll look like a Windows screen, there won't be big colorful buttons, so lots more stuff will fit on the screen.

This may take 6 months or more to finish, so don't count on it any time soon. I've got a lot of stuff to get done this summer, so I can start building a new router in the fall. :)

I've googled for sample control screens to get some ideas, but not sure where I'm going right now.

I'm thinking:
Big toolpath, 25% of the screen, top left.
Small g-code window, bottom left.
Program run controls, and file loading, right of the toolpath.
DRO's, upper right. Lots of them. Multiple sets, including machine coordinates, and togo dro's.
Jogging bottom right.

Suggestions open. Tell me what controls you need to have.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
This morning I started taking the first steps to creating a new screen, tentatively called "Mach XP".
 8) 8) 8) 8)

I quickly remembered what the most difficult part of screen design is - Figuring out what goes where, and what's needed. The 50-100 hours I'll spend in Photoshop is the easy part.
 :o Oh... thats much time. I thought it would be easier. For me the windows buttons look like grey parts with white lines and black shadow... i thought it would be possible to use a freeware button generator to make the button bitmaps.

To me most of the screen designs look like a html webpage.  ???
You can download the cnc controller software iam using at the moment... (if the link works)
http://www.boenigk-electronics.com/web/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=38&task=finish&cid=2&catid=3&lang=de

(you have to set the surface to english language with this: Einstellungen > Sprache > English )

Since it'll look like a Windows screen, there won't be big colorful buttons, so lots more stuff will fit on the screen.
 8) 8) 8)

This may take 6 months or more to finish, so don't count on it any time soon. I've got a lot of stuff to get done this summer, so I can start building a new router in the fall. Smiley

Stop! I want to buy a new cnc machine and want to use a better software... so you have to finish the new screen before building your new router!  ;D

Suggestions open. Tell me what controls you need to have.

Only the important functions on the first screens (everything seems to be too complicated for newbies - like me and others)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »
Jerry,
Maybe you want to hold off some until Mach 4 along with the new screen design comes out.
Or now is your chance to influence the new screen design......
RICH