Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:29:54 PM

Author Topic: Gift Box  (Read 5661 times)

Gift Box
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »

Just playing...

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Gift Box
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »
That's pretty neat, Bob. Whats the size? Thanks for sharing it with us.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »
3.5" Wide by 3" Tall. 

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »
That's pretty cool.  Tell me about your rig too.  I'm close to trying out cutting metal soon.  I'm afraid and excited at the same time.

Barry
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:42 AM »
That is aluminum cut on a Taig 2019 CR using a deepgroove1 controller and 280Oz stepper motors.  Running Mach 3 as my controller software.  The base heart was generated by Corel Draw and saved as a plotter file.  Then I used DeskCNC (Deskam) to scale it and generate multiple G-code files to make the various pocket and contour cuts. 

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:30:56 AM »
What bits did you use? Feed rate? Looking forward to following your lead.

Barry
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:45:28 PM »
I roughed it out with a .375 carbide wood router bit, then did most of the finish work with a .250 Carbide end mill, and did some detail contour work with a .0938 carbide end mill. 

Pocketing and material removal was done at about 30% step over at 20 IPM  The small bit was only able to remove about .005 per pass, but the .250 and .375 bits were able to remove .010 per pass. 

In order to make the lid fit properly I made its pocket about .004 (plus/minus backlash) larger than the lip it mates too. 

(As a note for wood I have found you either need to hand taper or goto about .006 as wood compresses then springs back as it cuts.  Different woods will vary.)

I did each process as a seperate operation rather than run it all together.  It allowed me to feel more comfortable, and I do not have a tool changer. 

Not learned on this particular job, but some folks will tell you a TiN coated bit does not stick to aluminum as bad.  I think if that's the case its hardly siginificant.  Its much more important to use a sharp mill, and not exceed the chip load of the cutter.  I did not use any TiN coated bits for this job.  All were carbide. 

After I was done I rounded all the sharp edges with some fine grit aluminum oxide paper by hand.  I didn't want to make it round, just dull the edge so the recipient would not get cut by it.

I also dressed the inside of the lid where the heart point comes in with a file, and hand guided the cutter to indent the box at the same point so the lid would not hit at that point. 

Its not always the case, but often enough you have to do some tweaking to make a work piece come out nice. 

Theoretically I could have done the entire piece with the small bit as a single operation, but instead of doing it in a day (5-6 hours machine time) while hanging out in the shop and doing other things it would have taken a couple days. 

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »
Very very nice work and an excellent gift for someone special.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.  As soon as I'm done making panel copies I'll try cutting metal with your tips;)

Barry