Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:31:09 AM

Author Topic: After all my searching for answers, steppers still won't go...  (Read 6645 times)

Ok, I have mach 3 under windows XP.

KL-DB25 Breakout Board from keling - http://www.kelinginc.net/BreakoutBoards.html

CW250 driver - http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17452+MS

Shieded cable connected from pin 2 on breakout board to cp+ on driver
Shieded cable connected from pin 3 on breakout board to cw+ on driver
Shieded cable connected from pin 18 on breakout board to cp- on driver
Shieded cable connected from pin 18 on breakout board to cw- on driver

Automationdirect 276 oz-in four wire stepper motor wired to A+ A- B+ B-   checked a hundred times to make sure I wired this right

37 volt 12 amp power supply connected to vcc+ and gnd

When I turn on the power supply the stepper "locks" and the lights come on the cw250

I plug 5v into the breakout board.  Light comes on.

Mach3 is set to lpt1  X axis step pin 2, Dir pin 3.  Low active on, set to port 1

When I try to jog the x axis nothing happens.

I put a meter in the breakout board and get voltage activity between pin 3 and ground (pin 18) when trying to jog.  I've used this computer and cable to run my hot wire foam cutter with no problems.  This is the first time I've used the cw250 and it's hard to find much information on it.  Anyone have any experience?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: After all my searching for answers, steppers still won't go...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
You say
I put a meter in the breakout board and get voltage activity between pin 3 and ground (pin 18) when trying to jog.
Are you getting 5v when you jog one way and 0v the other?
Have you looked at the voltage on the Step pin to see what you get when you jog? You wont see much of a change on the step pin but you should see some.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
Oddly,  I get 2.2v when i'm doing nothing and 1.7 volt when I try to jog on the step pin.

I get 2.2 volt on the dir pin and .17 volt when jogging one direction

When I meter the input pins I get 5.6 volts.  Is my little 5v supply not giving enough amps? (500ma)

Is 2.2 volt enough to activate the cw250?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »
I think you seem to be suffering from the problem of a low volt parallel port, lots of them are just 3v now instead of the old 5v.
If that is the case then you can do two things, one is get a PCI Port that is 5v and the other is get a breakout board that can accept the low voltage ports output and buffers it and outputs 5v to the drives.

Oh BTW your 2.2 going to 1.7v is likely correct as you are set active low so when idle the voltage will be high (2.2v in your case) and as you jog it will drop. Because its a pulse your meter wont be fast enough to see it drop to zero so thats why you see it just go to 1.7.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
Well, I just pulled the cable out and metered it directly.  I get 5v.  I wonder if there is some other problem with my breakout board

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:42:33 PM »
Kind of sounds like there might be if you have it wired correctly. Looking at the pdf there is not really much you can do wrong unless as you mentioned earlier that your power supply doesnt have enough current to drive the optos.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
I will try to contact keling about it.  Thanks for your help Hood!

Lance

On a side note, if anyone has any any experience with the cw250 driver, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I have used the bigger brothers of these drives, they are made by Leadshine in China. They work well and not really heard any complaints about them.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Before I tried to contact keling I was able to fix the problem.  I had wired the step and direction positive to pin 2 and 3.  When I attached the s & d positive directly to the 5v power supply and then ran the step and direction negative to pin 2 and 3, the stepper fired right up.

Thanks again