Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:33:36 AM

Author Topic: Galil 2080 and E Stop  (Read 4285 times)

Galil 2080 and E Stop
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »
Hello,

First post here. I have recently aquired a set of Galil equipment for my cnc conversion. I'm working on the cnc conversion of a Bridgport Clone. This requires realtively heavy motors. I"m allready building myself the controllers (UHU servo controllers) that are controlled by step/dir.
I have allready installed a demo version of Mach and have the controller working and registered in Mach. The documentation is excellent and will give me most of the info I need to get things working. There are however a couple of question that remain.

- How do I hook up an estop circuit to Mach via the Galil. Due to the size of the motors and the resulting damage if something would go wrong, I have chosen to hardwire the entire estop ciruit using a Pilz Pnoz Estop relais. This means that all components (Inverters, servo drives, etc) are able to trip the e stop relais. This relais then stops motion and with a timed delay, powers down the complete powersection and discharges the capacitor bank. How can connect the signal (24V) to the Galil and how can I let the Galil tell Mach3 that there is an e stop?

- Does the charge pump still work?

- How safe are the limit switches in the Galil? Can I hook up the limit switches to the Galil and have it output a signal to my e stop circuit or do I need to "split" the signal. Or is the Galil safe enough to allow the limit switches to be omitted from the e stop circuit so that I can clear the limit switch using the Galil?

- I'd like to use an MPG to control the mill in "manual" mode. Can I use a selectorswitch to increase or decrease the resolution?

I hope someone here can shed some light.

Erik Jan Koeze
The Netherlands
Re: Galil 2080 and E Stop
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »
Solved.

Thanks for the help  ???
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
Glad you solved it, I missed the first post, if you still have issues, I have used Galil for some time, not necessarily with Mach however.
I assume thats a Piltz Safety Relay?
Nosmo.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:39:09 AM »
Hello Nosmo,

I still have a problem with one Galil DMC-2080. I have flashed firmware to the current version. The firmware has somehow gotten corrupted and the controller does not work anymore.
Luckily I still have one that works OK so my cnc conversion can proceed. Galil wants me to send it in for RMA but I'm a little afraid for the costs that it may take to get the controller fixed. It has worked good, as far as I can tell untill the firmware was flashed. All selftests were completed succesfully and I have run an analog driver and dc servomotor from all axis under Mach3 control. Now it does not connect any more via USB and as soon as I start communications via RS232 the error led lights.

Erik Jan
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
Did it work at all with the current firmware? I guess you do not have a copy of the old firmware saved you could restore to?
If it is just a firmware issue, I have found Galil pretty reasonable, but being in the Netherlands there could be some cost just in P/P just to get it checked.
Nosmo.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
You say that you solved your own problems, but you don't say what you did to solve them.

Would you take a few minutes and post your solution?  Might help others.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
I have contacted our local Galil Dealer. They were kind enough to mail me the firmware that was originally on the controller (1.0c). This did the trick. I still havenĀ“t got the new firmware in but the controller is running again.
Oh, and I have used the upgrade jumper inside and used a straight serial cable.
I also modified the USB controller as discribed in the Galilmc.com support forum by removing 2 pins from the socket and joining them.

Erik Jan