Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:27:09 AM

Author Topic: Vector Laser Engraving.  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Vector Laser Engraving.
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:42:21 PM »
Another very short video clip of Sam's Wile.E.Coyote.

This is engraved with my CO2 laser head (finished at last, well almost) onto a small piece of MDF.

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/laser1a.wmv

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:05:57 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
Re: Vector Laser Engraving.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
Nice work!!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
Thanks.

Daft really, but this was the first thing done with the new laser head (which was some 7 months in the building) so I am really quite proud of that little bit of MDF.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
I would be too. Can't wait to get a laser engraver working on mine. :)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Whoa that's awesome!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
Dunno how I missed this one. Pretty cool, Tweakie. One of these days I gotta get me one of those.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Thanks Sam.

If it hadn't been for your Wile.E Coyote drawing I couldn't have done this  ;D ;D

Lasers are absolutely brilliant for some things and absolutely useless for others and in the laser project thread I am gradually getting to show all the things my laser is good at. Unfortunately this is not a complete story because different types of laser operate at different wavelengths and this then makes them suitable / unsuitable for a whole lot of different applications - what one type can do easily another type, possibly cannot do at all (bit like mills and routers I suppose).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
If it hadn't been for your Wile.E Coyote drawing I couldn't have done this
Lol. Yeah, it would have ended up being some other image, in which case irreversible damage to the space-time continuum would have surly occurred.

I think (I've been told not to) that the most suitable use for me personally would be for metal etching. Anodized aluminum to be exact. Is this something that would be achievable with relative ease?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:42:02 AM »
Hi Sam,

I thought, after my post, that I must get around to laser etching the Wile.E, Acme rocket and Roadrunner that you coded - it's in the pipeline.

Lower power CO2 lasers will not etch into metals (it's a wavelength thing) but they are brilliant at ablating the dye layer in anodized ally (probably why they are used so much for tattoo removals).
Art went to a lot of trouble for us last November (even though he was really busy with Gearotic Motion) to correct a couple of errors which had been left in the Impact/Laser plugin and now this works really well for raster work.
I am sure you have seen this before but this was done on the rear of an old anodized panel and there is room for improvement but it is perhaps a good example of what can easily be achieved.
Art's plugin accepts .bmp and .jpg formats, allows scaling, inverse image, setting Y step over etc etc and I think I have shown that the results produced rival the low to middle price range commercial laser packages and Art says he only coded this plugin as a fun thing in the first place.

Tweakie.
PEACE