Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:38:36 AM

Author Topic: A Axis Setting rotary motion  (Read 12210 times)

Re: A Axis Setting rotary motion
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
Hood,

Would there be  mach1lic.dat  even with Tormach's modified Mach that Jorg could use in the real Mach3?

Jay
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
Thanks for these suggestions.

I think I will stick with the kind of round-about way I outlined earlier. It works and a simple line of code is not too much trouble.

Of course it would be nice to know how to do it in a proper way for future projects.

Best
Jorg

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »
Hood,

Would there be  mach1lic.dat  even with Tormach's modified Mach that Jorg could use in the real Mach3?

Jay

Yes I think the licence would work fine with standard Mach but the problem would be any support or warranty from Tormach would likely be voided by doing so.
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
Just as a thought,

I remember seeing that a lot of the configuration settings can be read and changed thru scripting. I don't know off the top of my head if that particular one is in the list, but it is worth looking into as an alternative. I did dink around with it a bit and it does work, but I don't reacall the details of it so you would need to do some homework on it and see it it fits with what you are trying to do.

Probably a scripted change would not effect your warranty of support if you are just changing parameters on the A axis . . . as a guess.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »
Dear Simpson,

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is way beyond my capabilities.

Best
Jorg

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
Jorg,

It happens that I am very interested in 4th axis application just now and I might assume that you are not using the Tormach 4th axis or you would not be having this integration issue.

What 4th axis are you using and what is the application if you don't mind elaborating.

I have been developing a 4th axis hybrid indexer/lathe head for a while now and it has matured over time into a final design. Last Summer it was in this iteration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-Kdud7eiA

You can see the final Super Duty version here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2urdg_bqg

There are some minor details left to address,  but it is essentially going to remain in this state.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
Dear Simpson,

I have converted the Tormach CNC Mill into a Vertical Lathe to produce fully automatic the small turning parts I use for my Guitar Tuning Machines. www.graftuners.com.

I have replaced the draw bar with a pressurized tube and installed a pneumatic opening/closing mechanism for the collet. This allows me to advance my stock while the spindle is running. One of my parts requires very close tolerances for the ID and run-out. I cannot achieve those tolerances if I where to move the table. Thus I need a stop that moves in and out and a cut-off tool that also moves in and out. Lastly I have a waste/part collection system where a vacuum cleaner collects the waste and just as the part is being cut-off switches over to collect the part in a basket.

To control all this I installed a 4th axis stepper motor and use this stepper to rotate 4 cams that operate pneumatic valves which in turn activate the various pneumatic cylinders that move the slides and activators.

For this reason I need to be able to continually move the axis clockwise (not back and fort) by 360 degrees in two 180 degree steps for each part made.

Best
Jorg

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
OMG! Beautiful! I want these for my Les Paul!!

I am intrigued by interesting challenges (plus I love anything with stings). Now that I know what you are trying to accomplish, I am ready to tell you that it is doable with Mach, no problemo. I know you are noodling around with this, but if you do not arrive at a satisfactory solution, and you are not in a terrible hurry, then e-mail me directly and I'll help you with the solution. If you find a solution, please post it back here.

This has my wheels turning. If you are not moving your tables during the operation, could you make temporary use of one of the other axis to operate the 4th axis  . . if you had a way to instantly, automatically, temporarily and transparently switch them back and forth? In any case, I'm pretty sure we can create a macro that will turn the axis 180 degrees with a single M code.

i.e.
G1 (blah blah blah make the part)
M5 (turn of spindle)

{vacuum, collect, advance stock, other cool stuff}

M981 (rotate axis 180 degrees)
M47 (do it all again)

Where can one see pictures or videos of this very interesting machine of yours?
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
Well I do kind of in secret Acoustic sets that would fit your Les Paul. Contact me through my website and I'll send you pictures.

As to the rotary motion, perhaps you missed it but there is a kind of round-about solution by inserting after every 180 degree rotation of the stepper in linear motion the line GO920 that sets the counter to zero thus the next time one uses GOA180 it will turn again clockwise.

As to the video, I will post one someday, but right now I have spent way too much time developing this I got to get back into production a.s.a.p.

Best
Jorg

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Gotcha!

My impression was that you wanted to use the A axis as a rotary axis.

You certainly can just send the right amount of steps to accomplish the desired rotation and reset as you have discovered. I believe this method will continue to count up the 'machine coords', but I have run those out into the millions on the 'A" axis with no ill effect. so at 180 degrees at a pop you'll need to close and restart Mach by about the year 2050 . . .  :D

If all you need to do is that one movement, looks like it's Miller Time.

About the Les Paul, it is about a '73 model, purchased new by myself. Been played a lot, but all original and mint. Prolly should not mess with it and hurt the value. But I really love your stuff. If I had a newer Les Paul . . . .