Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:57:00 AM

Author Topic: Spindle control: weird behavior. It never starts at first run, works fine after.  (Read 3752 times)

Offline FXC

•  45 45
    • View Profile
Hi!

Today was the second time I broke an endmill because of this  :'( and it's time to find out out what's going on.

I have a simple setup, with the spindle relay controlled by a PP pin which works fine, no hardware issues here. The problem is software related.

After starting Mach3, loading a program etc., I always have to manually start the spindle (then turn it off) by clicking the Start Spindle button, before running the program; otherwise the M03 command is ignored completely, no matter how many times I try. There are absolutely no issues with subsequent runs, different files, resets or anything else as long as I don't quit Mach3. Again, I only have to do the spindle start once and everything's cool thereafter.

Additional observation: interestingly enough, looking at the G-Code scrolling up during a run, the program doesn't pause at the M3 command at all, whereas it should do so for 1 second (which it does, after the quick fix.) This makes me believe that Mach3 somehow does not execute the command at all.

So the question is... WHY?  ???
Mach3 is a mess.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
What version of Mach are you using as I seem to recall a similar issue a few versions back.
Hood

Offline FXC

•  45 45
    • View Profile
I just recently set up this spindle relay but it's been a few months since I checked for software updates... anyway, my version is 3.042.033

And now that you brought it up, I went to the changelog page and the very next entry after my version is:

Jan 05/2010
Release 3.042.034
-- Driver Frequency locking in at proper Hz
-- Spindle not turning on bug fixed
-- new Driver test added to show Rev of Driver

"Very funny!" he said, cringing at his broken endmill.  :D
Mach3 is a mess.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Upgrading will hopefully save you some endmills :)
Hood

Offline FXC

•  45 45
    • View Profile
That's right, what other benefit could an upgrade bring? Authentic Scotsman!

How's the v4 coming, dude?
Mach3 is a mess.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
V4 is coming along, been a few weeks since Brian sent an update as he is reworking a few things to do with the way FeedHold works but its looking good so far.
Hood
Your are not alone as my spindle starts if I stop and start again. Sometimes it starts first go. Using latest version.

Noel