Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:39:13 AM

Author Topic: Need help to get g code after probing an object  (Read 17022 times)

Offline DRM

•  1 1
    • View Profile
Need help to get g code after probing an object
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
Hi,
I've played with CNC stuff for a couple years, but I'm relatively new to this and there's a lot that I don't understand.

I'm trying to play with probing and I'm wondering once I get the point cloud how do I get it to g-code so that I can cut it?  
I bought a probe, mounted it on my router, set-up Mach 3, ran the program and now i have the x and y and z with numbers ( point cloud ).

NOW WHAT DO I DO!!  ...  I have been  reading the posts all week but they were not really broken down on the steps to take.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that tells you how to get from the point cloud to g-code?  

The steps i need to take would be much appreciated....thanx...Don    ( I have Bob-Cad Cam )
Re: Need help to get g code after probing an object
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Did you ever get the info that you were looking for? I am in the same position. I  have bobcad 23.

Offline DAS

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »
yup

I am at the same point. Have all the points in a file. Can almost get it to resemble the part in Machcloud but can not get it any further. with all that is being done with probing you would think that someone would have a tutorial on how it's done.
This post alone has been visited over 2000 times maybe most of them are looking for the same answer. the only thing that I figure is it is not possible using the mach cloud program.  since it  is no longer supported by mach mill it may not work correctly.  There are several  high dollar point cloud conversion  software in the net I may bite the bullet and try one.
anyone know what one will work with the mach mill wizard.

Just my uneducated opinion, feel free to correct me.

DAS

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
You need to convert your point cloud to an .stl file. If you can't get MachCloud to work, try MeshLAB.
THen bring your .stl into a CAM program like MeshCAM, and create your toolpaths and g-code. That's all there is to it.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline DAS

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
Hi All

allready figured that out   my problem is that Bobcad    will not load a stl file and really do not want to go to another program.
 can stl be converted to something else?

DAS

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
BobCAD is capable of working with .stl files. I don't use it myself, but I've seen numerous posts on other forums where people were using it for .stl  files.

If you have the right software, you can convert an .stl to a .dxf or any other mesh file format, but I don't think that would help you at all.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:40:56 AM »
Ok believe it or not I have made gcode from Machcloude through Autocad's simple line command.
In Mach3 under configure ports and pins, Mill options be sure add axis letters to coordinates is unchecked. We want a cloud that is just the
XYZ nodes with a comma between them. This is known as comma delimited. Open in notepad or wordpad under replace all enter just a space in the replace box
with " line" thats a space bar and the word line. This will replace the space at the end of each line with a space and the word line which is a common cad command.
Under edit click select all then copy.
In your cad program type line then paste. The coordinates you copied will then be pasted into the command line followed the command line which accepts the nex line.
This will draw your point cloud into your cad program as a simple line drawing with exact points, you can do what you want from there.
Most cad programs will export the .stl file even if it won't open it. The .stl file is used extencively in most 3d cad/cam programs but usually doesn't allow for multipul
pass's just the bottom one which I find is to deep for mast projects.
You can set the cut depths shallow process the file with name and number such as pass1 then move the cutting plane down the desired amount process it again and name it pass2 and so on till you get the whole part. Now with word pad open pass1 open another window of notepad open pass2 copy and pasted it at the bottom of pass1 and so till you get all the passes you need.
Don't worry about line numbers if there are any Mach processes them by actual order not line number, the line numbers are for your conveneance.

Give it a try and lets see what happens. Like I said I do it in Autocad just fine.

Steve
I have this ultimate set of tools I can fix it.