Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:33:00 PM

Author Topic: Trident  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Trident
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »
It's been a while since I posted anything that I am working on, (actually, it's been a while since I HAVE worked on anything!) so I figured I'd share this, even if it is kinda "not extremely fascinating".
First, I started off with the need of making a door frame for my bathroom. I conquered that easily enough. I wasn't happy with the seam showing between the top and sides, so I needed some sort of decorative piece to hide it. I'm sure they have a technical name, but I don't know what the heck they're called. Being as it's part of the bathroom, I wanted something depicting a water theme. Poseidon's trident seemed fitting enough. Anyhow, with a bit of time searching for a good reference picture, and some time modeling in solidworks, I came up with a design. Now armed with some G-code, and getting more impatient by the minute, I trudged out to the shop to cut some wood. By this time, the *fun* part was starting to take it's toll. I just wanted to see some results before the end of the day. Next, I slap a piece of wood in the vice and turn the feed rate up to warp 7.2. Just as I figured, that weak Z axis motor lost a few steps along the way. Interestingly enough, it made some neat looking designs, and I decided to build upon those screw-ups for the next piece, for the next day. A sea-shell in the middle, and some decorative pockets, done the trick nicely. As luck would have it, I ended up spending more time trying to clear the hostile air space (my garage) from a bogey (Japanese hornet), than I spent actually working on my project. These damn predators must LOVE florescent lighting, because they seem to invade whenever I try to work. Those bugs are no joke! You know how most bees sound like a small propeller *bzzzzz*, these sound more like a freakin' fully loaded B-52 jet engine. I think I even seen some heat trails from the tail end of it. With my trusty can of Raid wasp killer, I won this fight, even if I did have to perform a 'tactical retreat' a few times. The pic does not do it justice, as it's curled up into a fetal position, making it look smaller.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Trident
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:00:05 AM »
Hi Sam,

Very nice Trident - you need to mount it leaning away from the door, somewhere to hang the bath robes !!

Ahh - Poor little big hornet.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
Thanks Tweakie.
Ahh - Poor little big hornet.
Kinda funny, it got more views than the trident.  :D  :D Nuthing gets attention faster than danger and gore, I suppose.
Anyhow, the final product. Made from cherry. I wish I had a plaque of Poseidon in the sea to place above the door to tie it all in, but that's beyond my artistic abilities.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
Nice work Sam.

Hey Art made that nice plaque of Neptune, might be just what you are looking for.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
Yeah, I really like that scene. I've got that one sitting atop my water fountain outside. I still haven't made a frame for it yet. It's not been quiet a year since I made it, so technically I'm still within my... "projected time frame for anything I do"
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4314.msg76487.html#msg76487
Only problem with it being above the door, is that I would need to scale it up, which would destroy the step-over, and it would end up being to tall, also.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
That looks great Sam, Very classy. ;)