Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 07:05:54 PM

Author Topic: Layout wrong in mach3 OK in machscreen ?  (Read 9805 times)

Layout wrong in mach3 OK in machscreen ?
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
I'm pulling my hair out again, I just can't seem to get this to work.

I have modified the 1024 set in machscreen, but whenever I try to use it in mach the layout is all screwed up. It looks fine in machscreen, I opened it in screen 4 & saved there as well, but it is still messed up in mach. I'll try to attach screenshots.
I had this trouble long ago & gave up. This is the same result here on an XP machine at my desk as it is on the W2K machine in the shop so I think I can rule out the specific computer as the problem.
Re: Layout wrong in mach3 OK in machscreen ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:16:35 AM »
Hi,

have a look if "Auto screen enlarge" in menu Config -> General Config..  is checked. If so, uncheck it.

Klaus
The brain isn't a soap, it doesn't shrink when used.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
That worked on the office computer, & half worked on the shop machine. The shop machine was still not displaying a lot of the images.
I attempted to make edits on the shop computer with machscreen but I couldn't open the file "access denied", I finally figured out that transfering the files by cd-rom set the file properties to read only, so any bitmaps that were read only would not display. I had to select all in the bitmaps folder & change properties, now it works! :)
Somebody should probably add this info to the wiki on screens, I downloaded a couple of screensets & one of them wouldn't work presumably because of these settings/file properties.
Thanks for your help!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
Hi foxprints,

what OS are you using? You copied data form a CD to your HDD, when you where loading the set-file with MachScreen from your HDD, you got an error message "access denied", is that right? That's strange, I would understand the error message, when you were accessing data from CD.

Klaus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:26:53 PM »
The office (development) computer is xp & the machine computer is W2K. I edited the 1024.set on the xp machine (in a comfy chair :)) & then transferred to the w2k via cd-r since it isn't networked.
Yes I had the access denied message when loading the .set file from the HDD which is what lead me to try to figure out why access was denied since the file wasn't in use at the time. The error was very generic so I took a look at the file properties & noticed it was set to read only. I surmised it was that way because of copying from a cd & that the altered bmp's were probably that way also.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
I just tried it on the xp machine, if you set the .set file properties to read only you get the same error message.
I suppose it is Mach that needs to do a properties check & throw an exception warning, but it doesn't, it just displays what it can.
Is there a file specification for the .set files somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Hi foxprints,

meanwhile I also did some tests. The readonly attribute is only copied in direction to Win2000. I will change MachScreen to remove the readonly attribute when the user wants to (messagebox). The set-file specification can be found here
http://www.machsupport.com/MachCustomizeWiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
under point 15.1.

Klaus
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:46 PM »
Are there delimiters or is it just all strung together & read serially by character count?
I think there is missing info in the wiki, where are figures 7.4 & 7.5?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:09:27 AM »

There are no delimiters. You just read sequentially by the character count.

Klaus
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »
I found better info in the mach 2 customization manual pdf. Seems the docs have not been updated in a long time, it would be a daunting task since it changes so quickly.