Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:40:31 AM

Author Topic: Goto Z (Goto Zero) once again  (Read 4486 times)

Goto Z (Goto Zero) once again
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:02:38 AM »
Although this has been asked several times I'm still not sure what is the right way to do it and whether it is best suited in "General discussion" or "Screen design".

Issue: The built-in "Goto Zero" system functions goes to XY 0, then to Z 0.  I don't understand the reason behind the sequence, as "first XY, then Z" seems not safe to me. (This move would be modified thru the safe Z option.)  I could change that to "first Z0, then X0Y0" (see thread http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11106.msg69719.html#msg69719).  When G0Z0 is a move down, this also is not very safe.

The german screen set does it as follows: reads out the safe Z value (mostly 0), and moves to this Z in *work* coordinates (rapid down when we tried it), before moving to zero.

I added a button "Go To Machine Zero" (G0G53Z0|G0G53X0Y0) and others, so modifying the screen with the screen editor is not a concern.

Question: What are the best options?
(a) to move XY then Z, when the move is down, but Z then XY, when the move is up?
(b) ask/warn user when the move is down?
(c) replace to "Goto Z" button by two buttons: one for "Goto Zero (XY)" and one for "Goto Zero (Z)"
(d) leave out "Goto Z" (Goto Zero) completely, i.e. remove it?

Thank you for your opinion and advice.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Goto Z (Goto Zero) once again
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
Set up a safe Z of Zero or maybe just below Zero in Machine Coordinates and when you press GoToZ the Z axis will always move up to the safe Z position before the X and Y move, that is unless it is already there :)
Hood
Re: Goto Z (Goto Zero) once again
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »
Hood, thank you. That's the safe way.