Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:12:29 PM

Author Topic: CharlyRobot  (Read 13090 times)

CharlyRobot
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:57:10 PM »
Hi to all,

can I replace Gpilot (original CharlyRobot software) with mach3 on my CharlyRobot CRA2?
How can I start?

Any help pleas...

Thank You

Bojan
Re: CharlyRobot
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »
What is it for a Robot? 6axis?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50:22 AM »
Do you know how the control software talks to the hardware? is it step and direction pulses via a parallel port? If it is parallel port do you have the pinouts?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »
No, this is not a robot - just a company name. www.charlyrobot.com
Ok. Next step is to open and look what is in.

Yes I know (now) you need more information. ::)

bojan
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »
Should :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 12:01:43 PM »
First I must say I almost have no clue about electric. There are some pictures of my cnc. I hope that someone can help me.
Nr. 1 / TOSHIBA inverter
Nr. 2/ controller and motor
Nr. 3/ CRA2
Nr. 4/controller with ?

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:17:27 PM »
I presume it is hooked up to your computer?

Take some photos of the computer and the plug it uses on the computer.

If it is the parallel port, you may be in luck.  If not you may have your work cutout for you, it may be more extensive and expensive.

Arnie
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:20:09 PM »
Machine is connected via COM port. I have some drawings in pdf (to big for forum- 3.5Mb) If someone can help me pleas with this...
So - is possible to run MACH3 with this machine?
What information you need to know?

Thank you

Bojan

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
That is not good news, the com port is a serial port.  Mach3 is designed to control the parallel port.

I have converted a couple of other machines that were formerly com port driven.  One was a D&M cnc lathe, all it required was a little rewiring and some filter caps on the driver boards to get rid of noise, and a lot of research,  the driver boards were an obsolete ic that had no data sheets to be found on the web, it was all ttl logic though.  The other was a cnc router, forgot the mfg, it required a couple of Gecko servo drives for the x & y, a stepper drive for the new stepper on the z, and interface boards.  The old controls were a ISA control board in an old AT machine that was long lost, and a DOS based programming software.

First glance yours could be converted,  you are probably talking around $500 or less in parts, for driver boards and interface.

If you machine has a mfg web site post a link here and your full model number and I will take a look for you.

Arnie
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 12:54:55 PM »
Thank you zarzul !!

Site is www.charlyrobot.com but machine is no more in production. Now is there new one charly2U. Almost same with bigger Z axis and with 4th axis, ATC....
I have stepper motors. I like MACH because I can make ATC and 4th axis myself is more programmable and.... I already send questions to charly support team but I don't know if this is right address (changing controller) . Can I send you pdf file (3.5MB)?

Thank you

bojan