Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:56:14 PM

Author Topic: fine cutpath issue?  (Read 7530 times)

fine cutpath issue?
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
OK, getting further along now....I can import a dxf set the rulers sect a tool and generate a rough cut but when I try a fine cut path I get this error:

"offset failure, the resultant profiles are self intersecting?

Any clues?
Re: fine cutpath issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
Look at the DXF profile very closely for overlaps or double lines at or near the transitions.
Post the dxf if you'd like, might find it quickly for ya.
Russ
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
I attached the DXF...I dont see anything but I am a total newb. on the turn stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
Ampliflyer,
What program and version was your file created from?
I got the same error as you. What my take on it was that the arc's were a bunch of small line segments and additionaly
something was corrupt in the file on export since it would do roughs and the roughs actualy cut into the stock and then when you tried
doing a finish it would overlap the roughs and as such the error. Modifying / deleting the original profile you drew didn't do any good, even
something redrawn in the file turned out as a bad.
I have attached a file you can fool with similar to yours , it's close but not exact, but was done in a different originating file.
As shown i had no problems with the attached.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
Well...this lame and I'm sure it is the problem except for one thing....

I use Corel Draw 8 and export the dxf...I then take the DXF and import it into CADSTD (freeware cad program) and then turn around and export at a
higher dxf format that lazy cam and lazy turn will allow.

I then open it in Lazyturn and cam from there.

The problem I inquired about happens on my laptop....but the computer on my lathe (pc in the garage)
allowed the same method to work with perfect rough and fine cuts.

In fact I've just wow-ed my coworkers with the beautiful handle I turned last night?

I'm sure the problem is my cad method if it is could someone suggest an affordable cad software as easy to use as corel draw 8?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »
Why not just learn a few commands in CADSTD and draw and try it with that program. ( i never tried it or used it ) Corel Draw seems to cause problems.
All you need to know is how to draw a straight line, arc, cirlce. Then maybe you won't have problems with the DXF.
LOL,
RICH
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
as luck would have it I was given an older cad program that will save files as DXF R12 which is what we want , right?

I have managed to make a simple profile and saved as dxf r12 but lazyturn says it's a bad drawing?  I'm sure I'm just not doing it right...luckily the cad guy at work is willing to give me lessons next week.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
What CAD program is that one?
If you want some general info about DXF's and common drawing mistakes see Appendix "B" and "C" in the LazyTurn Manual.
You may want to show that info to the guy at work.

RICH
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
It's autocad 2002 will this work? I'm not having any luck so far generating anything lazyturn will accept....also my edit window wont open?

I have been taking my earlier code into Mach3 mill to edit.(I have a gantry mill also)

I have downloaded and printed the manual gonna read it tonight.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
Yes autocad 2002 will work just fine. When done drawing save the drawing as a  version 12 DXF.
RICH