Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 11:23:13 AM

Author Topic: Homing Switches have me baffled (again!)  (Read 10001 times)

Homing Switches have me baffled (again!)
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:21:03 AM »
I reloaded Mach to try and eliminate another problem (which it did), but now my homing switches are messed up.

I uninstalled Mach and the driver, did an install, and copied my .xml and screenset files back into the Mach folder. All the motor settings, custom screen, etc. seem to have been restored exactly. (I struggled briefly with a never seen before "Shuttle not found" error message, but found the solution to that one with quick Forum search).

My homing switches are all wired in series to port 1 pin 11. This set up has worked flawlessly for months, but now on the Diagnostics screen they are all flashing yellow. and when I try to "Ref. all home", the axis starts to move, stops, and the "Homing Switch active" error appears.

By enabling/disabling the switches individually and manually actuating them, it looks like all the switches are functional (i.e., the lights on the diagnostics page turn on and off with the switch actuation).

Everything else seems to be functioning normally. I'm able to run parts with LED's on the Diagnostics page flashing yellow, but I'd sure like to get my homing function back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

ventuseu

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Homing Switches have me baffled (again!)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
Sounds like you have noise on your home switches, try increasing the debounce interval further to see if you get rid of the issue, if you do then best to try and isolate the noise.
Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
When you press a switch it changes from flashing to solid yellow?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »
Increasing the debounce to 2000 (it had been set at 250 since the initial set-up of the machine) doesn't seem to have any effect.

Yes, when I activate any of the switches all three of the LEDs change from flashing to solid yellow...

Thanks for the suggestions...

ventuseu

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
What happens if you enable only one switch at a time? Does it still flash?

Try dissconnecting the swtiches, does it still flash?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
Enabling each switch individually - their behaviour remains the same.

Disconnecting the switches at the BOB results in solid yellow LED's, and trying to home the machine with disconnected switches gives the error message "Homing switch activated"...

Cheers,

ventuseu

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
Put a piece of wire in place of the switches where they connect to the bob and see if you still get the flashing.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
With the BOB terminals jumpered together with 1/2" wire, the LED's are flashing yellow...

Cheers,

ventuseu

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »
Either a very serious noise issue or a problem with the BOB.
Do you have another input on the BOB spare that you can try?
Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
I think you may have something with BOB- I'll try using a different input, although it will probably take me a while to figure out the best way to do it.

Since the problem appeared with the re-install of Mach, I assumed it was software related, but it may be another one those "coincidental" hardware problems that have caused what few I hairs I have remaining to turn gray...

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

ventuseu