Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 10:52:47 AM

Author Topic: Smooth Stepper - no motor output  (Read 4337 times)

Smooth Stepper - no motor output
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
Hi all,

I recently installed a smooth stepper on my 3-axis plasma cutter with a thc-300 installed.   My setup consists of the following:   gecko 201 steppers,  pmdx-131 for the breakout board, and thc-300 torch height controller.   

The current issue I am having is there is no output to the motors!!   The DRO's show movement through mach3  and the smooth stepper diagnostics page shows motor output data,  but the drives will not spin !!   Anyone have ideas ??

Also for additional information all the other inputs  and outputs (estop, limits, and relay outputs (torch start)) seen to work.  Huh

I have attached my XML file.  Can someone help me analyze this to find my problem.    Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth Stepper - no motor output
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:17:33 AM »
I have just used your xml and scoped the outputs of X and Y axis and they are working fine here. Check you have the SS  hooked up correctly to your BOB and that the pins you have assigned are correct. If that seems to be ok then check at the SS output with a scope if you have one, if not a voltmeter, that the outputs for Step and Dir for each axis are working. The Step pins will not be so easy to see as the voltage will only change slightly as you jog but the Dir pins will change from High to Low depending on the direction you move.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
Hood,

Thanks for the Diagnosis of my xml file.   I will double check the BOB pin out settings.   At a first glance I didnt notice anything different.   I will investigate and update this post.

thanks
R. Ramos
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
My issue is solved,     The problem was that the PMDX would disable the motor outputs because it did not see the charge pump signal when using the smooth stepper. (JP1)  I disabled this function and the outputs work perfect.   

Thumbs up !!!  to the smooth stepper its an excellent product !!!   

HOOD -=- Thanks for you diagnosis of the XML file.   It helped with the troubleshooting process.   

Thanks
R. Ramos