Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:47:41 AM

Author Topic: Japanese version computer, errors in write wizard  (Read 4252 times)

Japanese version computer, errors in write wizard
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
Hi all,

I have had my little mill up and running for about a year now, and have been having a lot of fun.
  I have one persistent problem though: the write wizard that came with mach3 does not work. I have read several posts about people having teething problems with getting it to work. I really hope someone can point out some little detail I am missing and it will all be simple... but i don`t think it is a problem to do with basic input, as I have tried several times to make sure I am inputting in all fields.

With all relevant fields filled in, I can not get any Gcode output at all. As soon as I start typing the letters in, I instantly get an error.

I am no computer expert, but I suspect that this problem is to do with my computer. I live in Japan, and my computer is a Japanese version, meaning it has a Japanese keyboard. I have heard that this means that the character data/ byte size is different, even for roman numerals, so it would seem this might be causing some kind of problem that makes the software go cross-eyed and generate my errors.

today I tried re-installing to the latest lockdown version of mach3, in case this might help, but no luck.
 I really would appreciate any input here, as having a cncdriven mill but not being able to do text is rather like a cake without icing!
 ...Apologies in advance for for any newbie-ness
  Stefan
Re: Japanese version computer, errors in write wizard
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:27:43 AM »
Well, I couldn`t see how to edit my post. It occurred to me anyone reading this might wonder about the rest of the wizards: and they all work fine, it is only the write wizard which does not.

S

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:18:03 AM »
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Asian regional settings could be an issue and users had to set it to UK or USA to get things working.
Can you get hold of a UK or USA keyboard and try that, remembering to tell windows you have a UK or USA keyboard layout.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »
Hood,
 Thanks for the suggestion.
 I *think* I have changed the keyboard:
  I went into the control panel then in the classic view and then in regional and language options, added an English keyboard in the details -> installed devices.
 This done I get a small device box showing the English input at the bottom left of the screen.

I then opened Mach, but even with the Japanese keyboard unplugged, the wizard shows the same error message.
   I used the mouse to hit the letters on the screen, but it comes up with:  error:in.
 If it was the keyboard settings, I would expect this to be gone now, as I have taken the Japanese  keyboard out of the input loop.

S

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »
Takko,

It might be the windows version that is the problem, can you not try an English version of windows ?

Another question are you trying to engrave Japanese or English ?

Depending on your answer it may be the font that is causing the problem.

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
I have made some progress.
 I have been able to produce some toolpaths in English and Japanese, using my Cam software.  (not very convenient, but possible.)
 I am no software Brain, but perhaps this strengthens my original premise.
 Hood, do you know of any other write wizards for Mach3?

S

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »

Hood, do you know of any other write wizards for Mach3?

S

Not that I know of :(

Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »
Phil,
 I am not sure an English version of windows will install on my PC: I have heard from a friend who tried very hard to do this, but came to dead ends to do with the multi-bit characters.

S