Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:23 AM

Author Topic: Damaged servo motor  (Read 3702 times)

Offline dtw

•  2 2
    • View Profile
Damaged servo motor
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
I have been modifying and installing a used Trak A.G.E. 3 control system on my Sharp bed mill and have damaged one of the servo motors by trying to tap the mounting holes just a little deeper to accept a standard length bolt.  I didn't realize that the magnets were what I felt as my tap started to increase drag a little, and "pop!", the damage was done.  One shattered magnet and $620 for a new motor from Southwestern Industries - owch!  I've followed a few leads on the web, but no luck yet.

Does anybody here have a used or burnt out motor from a Trak or Proto trak system they'd be willing to part with?  All I really need is the outer housing that contains the magnets.  The brand is Magnetek, and the model is 4020D-155, part # 22320900.  I was lead to this forum by a post iin 2008 for a drive modification to run one of these systems with Mach3 software, hoping that the motors might be for sale if the conversion wasn't practical, but it apparently was thanks to the expert help here.

Any leads appreciated!

Thanks   :)
Re: Damaged servo motor
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
Did you find a motor?

I have a Prototrak system that is going to be pulled shortly.  I don't remember exactly what motors, but they are a 60VDC system.

JW

Offline dtw

•  2 2
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged servo motor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I was able to epoxy the magnet fragments back in place sucessfully after cleaning all remnents of magnetic dust and flakes from the housing.  It was quite challenging since the fragments were being strongly repelled from their original position and I had to get clever with bamboo stick jacks made from skewers to hold the peices in place until the epoxy fully cured.  It's now working like new.

Thanks again,

Tom