Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 06:34:29 PM

Author Topic: Probing -compensation for errors  (Read 2752 times)

Probing -compensation for errors
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
Hello all
I'm sure it's been addressed but I can't find it.

I was thinking that to ensure any errors in the actual probe that made the tip off-center to the spindle, what we need is an 8 point centering routine.
the first set of points would be normal, then a delay where the probe (spindle) could be turned 1/2 around (180 deg) and the next set of points taken.
The compensated center would be 1/2 of the difference between the center of the first set and the center of the second set.

I just did this manually with my new probe and verified with a dial-ind. and it works within < .0003" over 5 tests.
How this would be written into the script to do it automatically (probe, pause, probe) I have no idea.

Anyone gone down this road before?
Mooser

Re: Probing -compensation for errors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
Hi, what I've done to compensate for probing that was off center was to compensate the error in each probing macro but had to place the probe always in the same direction
in the spindle.

Re: Probing -compensation for errors
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
Yeah, I was going to mark the probe and then always loading the same way, adjusting the calculation to suit. Then I got thinking about some way of making sure the probe error wasn't changed (probe bent or something) and ended up with this method.
Works great, just needs to be built into a macro.
Mooser