Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:00:20 AM

Author Topic: 2nd parallel port madness  (Read 4205 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
2nd parallel port madness
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Hey folks, I'm trying to get a 2nd parallel port installed to work with Mach 3 and the C23 board I have installed.  I was having trouble with the smoothstepper so, I decided to go this route instead.

I'm using the Rosewill card (which is the one that works according to our board), which has a 9835 chipset.  This card has two parallel ports.  I've downloaded the driver, installed fine, and it is being shown in the device manager as LPT2 and LPT3.  The addresses are:

LPT2
C400
C000

LPT3
CC00
C800

Onboard LTP1

I can get the LPT 3 to appear just fine as port 1 within Mach using CC00.  I can't get anything to work for port 2, even the onboard LTP1.  I know that port does work though, as it was with the smooth stepper.  Now that I'm trying to use parallel ports on a desktop machine, instead of the smooth stepper on my laptop, I'm running into this problem.  Any ideas?  I'm at my wits end here.  I built this PC just for this purpose!

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd parallel port madness
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »
Not sure I understand this part
I know that port does work though, as it was with the smooth stepper.
The SS doesnt use a parallel port.

What are you trying to set up on Port2 and which pins?

Hood

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »
Yes, I know the SS is USB.  Originally I was using the SS with a USB port;)

I stopped because it would lose connection after a couple hours.  I'm attempting to use parallel ports instead.  I'm attempting to use the exact same setup, except with parallel ports, same pins, etc.  It's not a pin assignment issue, as this WILL work with the smooth stepper.  The issue, is that a 2nd parallel port isn't seen inside Mach3, no matter the port addresses I'm giving it.

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:56:41 AM »
What pins are you trying to use and for what (inputs or outputs)
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »
is it me or are those address ranges weird? shouldn't all range over a few bytes and be ascending. These ranges are massive (interestingly they're all 0x400 byte ranges!) and lpt2 and 3 are descending... for example I'd expect 0x378 to 0x37F for your LPT1.

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »
Those numbers aren't ranges.  They are the first address in a range. Each parallel port had two ranges listed in the device manager.  The first number in the range is what you put in Mach, so that's all I listed. Sorry for the confusion. An interesting result is originally I bought the ss to work on a laptop, which I have gotten it to work perfectly there. I can mill all day and then some.  The trouble I'm having in on a desktop, which is so strange to me. Anyway, I've spent so much time on this issue, I think I'm going to just upgrade to another laptop and retire this one to the shop, to run Mach.  It seems overkill, but I know this combo works.

Barry