Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:40:15 PM

Author Topic: MasterCAM X and Tool Offsets  (Read 10255 times)

MasterCAM X and Tool Offsets
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
Hello all.  I'm a little new to some of the CNC world.  I've been learning some of the basic G code language by brute force as i'm used to getting code via mastercam, camworks, etc.  Anyway, here is my situation:

I'm running Mach 3 on a retro fitted Boss.  I have Mastercam X and Mach 3 post.  I've been messing with things and trouble shooting a while and i have my offset issue narrowed down for the most part, as in whats not happening.  The code is not adding a G43 H#  (# = tool number).  As i understand it and after a bunch of digging around, this will setup the tool offset after a tool change.  I added the G43 H# line after each tool change and it appears to be working with that. 

The Question:  How can i get this to happen via mastercam and not have to add it to any program i post??

There is also an issue where the post doesn't seem to be putting a carriage return after some of note lines at the beginning of the code (details for tool and some of the extents).  Can this be updated to function as well? 

I think i have the other options pretty well figured out....  Thanks!
Re: MasterCAM X and Tool Offsets
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »
Here is the top of some code for reference.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Jared

(MASTERCAM - V10.)
(MC9 FILE  -  C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\JARED\DESKTOP\BROCKWAY FAN\ADAPTOR.MCX)
(POST      - )
(MATERIAL  -  ALUMINUM INCH - 2024)
(PROGRAM   - FLAT ADAPT _UPDATE_3.NC)
(DATE      - MAR-10.-10.)
(TIME      - 20.5311)
(POST DEV  - NovaLab)
(NWDTOOL N" 1/4 FLAT ENDMILL" T1 D0. F.5 L2.5 CD2. CL1. SD2. C0)
(NWDTOOL N" 1/4 CENTERDRILL" T2 D0. F2. L3. A90. CD2. CL1. SD2. C0)
(NWDTOOL N" NO. 28 DRILL" T3 D0. F2. L3. A118. CD2. CL1. SD2. C0)
(NWDSTOCK X3.25 Y2.25 Z.1875 OTC OX-.5 OY0. OZ-.1875)
(OVERALL MAX - Z.75)
(OVERALL MIN - Z-.2622)
G00 G17 G20 G40 G49 G80 G90
T1 M06 ( 1/4 FLAT ENDMILL)
(MAX - Z.5)
(MIN - Z-.2)
G00 Z.5
G00 X.0156 Y0. S2000 M03
Z.1
G01 Z-.0286 F10.
G03 X-.0781 R.0469
X.1406 R.1094
X-.2031 R.1719
X.2656 R.2344
X-.3281 R.2969

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
Hi,

its not a mach3 problem, you need to edit the post processor to resolve this issue, if you search the web you will find modified versions of the mach3 mastercam post.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
Ive never had MC to ignore the G43. It looks as though you are using a post for version 9. Try updating the post using MC. Look in the help file and search for  "update post to current version". Follow the instruction on updating, and try your luck again. As far as the carriage returns go, I don't see anything in your reference post that looks abnormal, except for the absent carriage return indicator "%" at the very end of the file.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:59:45 PM »
Finding one that has already been modified would probably be a better choice, as Graham stated. I have never used the Mach3 post, so I can't say if it will work or not after updating it.  You could also try using the generic fanuc post included with MC. If memory serves correct,(as it's been a time since I used it), it should work just fine. Generally, selecting a post and then learning how to modify it to suit your needs is the best way to go.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
That my problem, i've been trying all the modified posts that i could find and none seem to work.  I was thinking i did something somewhere in MC to mess up the G43 thing.  I'm going to try the generic and go from there.  I don't care what post it is, if it work ;)

On the carriage returns, i actually fixed that and forgot about that when i posted it.  The NWDTOOL comment lines string all together without returns and cause an error with MACH in that it's too long.  I'll see how i make out and report back.  Thanks so far. 

Jared
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Quick and last update for the night.  I used the generic fanuc post.  Seems to work OK, there is now G43 but all tools have H0, Not the tool number.  This will not give the proper tool offset, correct?  Thanks again!

Jared

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »
That is correct, when you specify the tool in MC you will need to also specify the offset to use, it may be in the tool library or you may need to adjust it as you pick the tool.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:21:21 PM »
OK, talked with a guy here at work pretty well practiced in MC and he showed me a parameter screen i think I've been overlooking.  I also think i need to setup the Fanuc as the machine definition.  The definition wasn't adding the offset as the tool number and i think the fanuc should do this.  I have some things to look at tonight, but it looking like I'm on the right track to have it all working.  I'll check back in if i have more questions.  Thanks for the help!

Jared
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
Seem to have things figured out now.  I have to input the tool offset at the parameters screen.  Can this be set up in MC to automatically put the tool's number in the offset in the parameters.  I won't be surprised if that answer is no, i just have to remember to do it all the time. 

Thanks for the help!

Jared