Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:05:54 PM

Author Topic: Dyna 2800 modifications  (Read 7455 times)

Dyna 2800 modifications
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Well, I've finally "completed" (I doubt that these projects are ever completed) converting my Dyna 2800 to Mach3.

The original motherboard was removed and replaced with a Candcnc BOB/EZstep package, and the original stepper motors were replaced with modern M495 Nema 34 steppers. The Dyna drivers were replaced with Gecko 201x's. The original control panel was left intact (Spindle controls, Estop, etc.).

The M495 were a bolt-on replacement (the .375 dia. shaft was a little hard to find) in spite of being significantly longer the original "Flat" motors. With a little care, the original wiring was maintained from the drivers to the motors.

The Dyna 2800 has a 2.5 belt reduction drive on the ballscrews, I think in order to get an acceptable resolution with the non-microstepping drivers and motors of 20 years ago(!). With the driver/motor combination now installed, I get a rather ridiculous 50800 steps/inch resolution, but it allowed a bolt on installation to be done pretty easily...

I couldn't be more pleased with the results. It just purrs along quietly and smoothly, although I had to up the kernal speed to 45khz in order to get the max speed up to 40 in/min (plenty for an old man like me and a 8"x7"x9" working envelope). I now have the best of original Dyna (solid construction, lubricated ballscrews, BT-30 Spindle) with a great control system (MACH 3, of course!).

My thanks to the Candcnc folks - their package works great, and reduced what could have been a major wiring project to about five minutes of plugging in ribbon cables. Also, all the folks on this forum from whom I shamelessly stole Touch Pad macros, screensets, and countless good ideas...

Cheers,

SF

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Dyna 2800 modifications
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:52:22 AM »
Nice job SF.
Keep on grabbing ideas from the forum - that's what it's for.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Dyna 2800 modifications
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:58 PM »
saw your post- where did you get the m495 steppers and what were the spec??