Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:19:22 AM

Author Topic: Mach3/computer freezing during operation  (Read 13112 times)

Re: Mach3/computer freezing during operation
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »
I like to recommend a line filter on spindle motors to keep the electrical noise they generate from getting back into the control and PC and causing problems. I carry a 10A unit here: http://soigeneris.com/cncparts2.aspx , if your spindle motor draws more than 10A you should be able to find a similar unit with a higher current rating. Also, if your switching you spindle with a relay you should install an arc suppressor across the relay contacts.

I use a Porter Cable router that turns on when I flip the switch.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »
Is there any way you can run a cable reel from your house to power the computer for a test?
Did you get a chance to look at the CPU usage? Ctrl Alt Del will get you the task manager and you can look at the performance tab.

Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
You can get an idea if it is spindle motor noise causing the problem by 'air cutting' something with the spindle off. If you can run without problems like that then it is likely a motor noise issue. If you still have problems then it is something else (could be both as well).
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »
You can get an idea if it is spindle motor noise causing the problem by 'air cutting' something with the spindle off. If you can run without problems like that then it is likely a motor noise issue. If you still have problems then it is something else (could be both as well).

I wish it was a problem that happened every day. However, it isn't and I have no idea of ever knowing when it could happen. Makes it very difficult to solve.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Is there any way you can run a cable reel from your house to power the computer for a test?
Did you get a chance to look at the CPU usage? Ctrl Alt Del will get you the task manager and you can look at the performance tab.

Hood

jeff berd and hood,
you guys just nail it... it is true that this problem exists. right now i am having this problem where mach3 freeze (hang, jammed and the screen greys out and nothing could be pressed). i have been very stressed out for many many days because of this-  the machine stops in the middle of acrylic cutting and causing it to get to waste many many times and it upsets me a lot, there are times i curse mach3 a lot for this, thinking this is coming solely from mach3.
i used to use the latest version of mach3 and switch to Version lockdown stable R3.042.040 due to recommendation. day 1 it works fine but after that same problem occurs again and again.
now i have tried again running the cnc with spindle ON and OFF. when i free run it with spindle on, same problems seem to come up 50% of the time (imagine getting your workpiece getting cut with a 50% bet). and then now i try, free run the cnc with spindle off, i have been running it straight 10 times with  no problem at all. therefore i guess this is sure coming from the spindle or the spindle driver itself.
oya, my breakout board and axis drivers and the spindle driver seems to be enclosed in one medium sized box. i bought this 6040 cnc on ebay from china. and also i use stepper motor in between.

any idea whats exactly going on? is this the spindle motor itself or the spindle driver that is enclosed quite tightly with the other drivers and breakout board? is there anyway to fix this? i am worried that this problem may be rooted at the electronics level of the spindle driver that i cant do nothing about.

please help

thank you in advance.