Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:50:28 PM

Author Topic: 3d cam  (Read 7211 times)

3d cam
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
can anyone out there recommend a good affordable cam program for doing 3D that works well with mach 3. I'm also using a k2cnc. I'm familiar with cnc's but a little green with mach3 i'm learning lazy cam as well but i need to get a few 3D signs done to satisfy a client. Any input would be very helpful  ty

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: 3d cam
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:02:45 AM »
Look at CAMBAM its 3D and free.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »
thanks i'll give it a try.  never too old to learn yet again another program lol
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
The version I downloaded is limited to 40 executions. 

So far I have not figured out how to do any real 3d work with it.  Just 2D with pocket and bulge like a number of others.  I can do that with Gsimple and gsimple really is free. 
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 03:17:47 AM »
Hi,
perhaps this Link could help you: http://www.cambam.co.uk/download/latest/cambam-free-beta-release-082.html
It's the last free release of CamBam as far as i know.

cheers, Josef
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 03:06:28 AM »
I downloaded that one and it does not appear to be time limited.  Its kinda odd to use, but I did find a use for it today.  Organic shapes for milling.  I freehand them with Corel draw, convert to curves and export to DXF.  Then open with CamBam and convert all the splines to poly lines.  Then open with my DesCNC and start pocketing.  Wadda pain.  I did not really figure out how to get anything else out of CamBam yet. 
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
  Ya I hear ya Bob iv'e downloaded cam bam and I cant seem to understand it either
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
Ok...  I am now playing with gmax.  It seems to generate some of the fundamental gemometric solids ok.  Spheres, cones, cylinders, etc.  Now how do convert that to something I can machine. 

For example...  how would I use that to generate a half cylinder shaped pocket in a piece of plate. 

Available tools are Corel Draw, Cam Bam, gmax, gsimple, lazy cam, deskcnc, and a host of other misc items minor utilities.  I have not yet downloaded the utility that converts gmax files to another type of file, but will when I need to.  I need to generate Mach 3 compatible code of course.  I only have DeskCNC for the nice easy 2d cam features. 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
Hmm.....
I would recommend you invest some time and think about what you want to be able to do and then ask users about how software is limited, likes and dislikes , etc and then master the use, for example of CamBam or whatever.
As the saying goes, "Jack of a thousand trades but master of none".

Sorry no 3D to recommend as i am still learning the thousand trades..........   ;D
RICH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »
GMax is a polygonal modeling program. It is a watered down version of 3DStudiomax. 3DSmax is used mainly for the film industry. Generally, most cad programs that are used for machining, are nurbs based (curves), not polygonal (segmented lines).
You can use "CNC Toolkit" with gmax to produce code for whatever you design. I believe it is a free program. The website is http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/. It has been several years since I messed with the program, so I can't really give you an accurate description.

My magic 8-Ball says that it foresees a high learning curve in your future with gmax.  ;D
Best of luck!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."