Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:38:25 PM

Author Topic: Encoder/MPG questions  (Read 4691 times)

Encoder/MPG questions
« on: September 30, 2006, 05:38:50 AM »
I have been wondering what the MACH3 will do with encoder info.  I see the encoder/mpg section, but am not sure what it does.  I have encoders I want to use, there are A and B outs on each one.  Instead of dealing with writing code the count the quadrature pulses on the controller, are there ways to make use of the encoder inputs on Mach3?  If so, where would I look to study up on it?  Ideally I'd like to count the encoder pulses and compare to the actual output, and within some range have MACH3 stop  if the encoders are returning the same pulses.

Thanks

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: Encoder/MPG questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »
Hi:

Comparison, and error triggering are possible with a macropump script. Its been done by Ron Rogers as a product, and by many as personal code.
The real use of encodersin MAch3 is for manual machining. I hope to have a dedicated DRO mode in the near future with encoder use in mind.

Art

Yanosh

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »
Hello friends.
Please help me. I`m new licensed user of Mach3. I want to check up system Mach3, for example X axes . I send signals to Mach3 as encoder sends, but I can`t stop moving  X axes . So other axes too.Detailed: for example when I inputin in  MDI G00 X0.0500 the axes moves and I see movement of axes  on the DRO screen. At setting screen I emulate encoder by two switches and on the encoder position screen X reaches till X0.0500 but Mach3 don`t stop sending signal to X movement.
Friends Help me  May – be I do some thing wrong.
Thanks

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:25:23 PM »
Hi Yanosh:

You are trying to use Mach3 as a closed loop system but it is an open loop system. The encoder inputs have no effect on movement at all. They are not even required to be hooked up to MAch3. When you command G0X0.05, it will move the motors the number of steps necessary to move .05 as configured in the motor tuning.
  You do not need to use encoders at all..

Art

Yanosh

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:35:02 AM »
What to do if I have servo motor? Without encoder I can`t use servo.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:35:15 AM »
Hi:

Your encoder hooks to your servo driver, not to the computer..

Art