Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:52:53 AM

Author Topic: Debugging Servo Motor Setup  (Read 7284 times)

Debugging Servo Motor Setup
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:34:54 AM »
I am running servo dynamics amplifiers and motors. They are being driven by pixie p100s. The pixie is being driven by a bob campbell combo break out board.

I have tuned the motors in accordance with the instructions in the pixie manual, using Pixie's graphical tuning software and direct serial connection to the pixies. The motion is smooth and fast. No jerking, no vibrations.

However, setting up the motors in mach 3 is giving me different results. The motion is jerky, loud and vibrates. Seeminlgy- regardless of speed, the motors jerk and vibrate the whole mill.

I've played with step/dir delay times, decreased the velocity / accel. Kept the accel down and just increased the velocity. Nothing seems to keep them from jerking around.

Very confused. What am I missing ?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Debugging Servo Motor Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 08:48:27 PM »
Hi, Racesol

Sorry I missed the last line of your post, Dont now if,  Bob Campbell's combo break out board is change-able thaogh.

Give this a shot,  Under port's and pin's change your Dir Low Active and Step Low Active to the other State,

Some controls are sensitive to leading - trailing Edge  pulses setting's.

If this changes your Motor Direction, you can change there Direction in Conf, Motor  Home and limit's, Reversed, change state there .

I've run in to this several Time's

Make sure if in CV mode and  Backlash isn't turned on at the same time also.

Left this for other's, may help someone.

If you haven't changed any cables and it's a software issue ,

Try changing your Step / Dir Pulses, there used to give your servo control more time to see the Mach output pulse.

It's under Config, Motor Tuning, Step Pulse and Dir Pulse set them to 5, then test.

If this is it then back the setting down to the point it's jerky again, then backup one, range 0-5.

Hope this Helps, Chip

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:37:40 PM by afn09556 »
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:20:55 PM »
Chip,
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately the problem still persists. I was reading that optoisolated board have longer then usual signal delay issues. I'm wondering if my problem is I can't increase the step/dir pulse delay enough?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:48:41 PM »
Hi, Racesol

I gather that you haven't changed anything after running servo setup software and then Mach ?.

Are your Pixie board's also opto-isolated, maybe try the step & Dir, direct connect, even if there not isolated ?.

Are the speed's your running faster than your servo-setup was.

Checked  all gnd's maybe a noise issue.

Thank's Chip

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 11:22:37 PM »
Hi, Raceso

In the Pixie manual under Parameters, setting 14 & 17 talk about leading trailing setting's checked them out ?.

Thank's Chip
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 08:28:12 AM »
as a test try Sherline mode under ports and pins. This will give you a very long pulse step to test with.

thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 01:10:56 PM »
Thank you for the help guys. I think I have determined that the problem is intermittent and only tied in with Jog. When I directly command the movements, I dont get any noise. But when I'm just jogging, I do. I have played around with different units on the jog, but it still seems to be random in when it clunks at me. Whats even stranger is I can watch the motor pullies and when it clunks there is no visible change in pully speed or belt speed.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »
I think you need to put a scope on the encoder lines to see if you have noise... That is about all I can think of...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 10:15:27 PM »
I know this thread is older than dirt but i wanted to add that i was having the exact same issue with Leadshine DC303 servo drives and mach3.. I Downloaded linux emc2 and i had it running inch for inch within 30 min.. no issues.. i'm not preaching saying that emc2 is better, i'm just saying that in my situation, it just worked and mach didn't after almost a week of troubleshooting.