Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 08:24:14 AM

Author Topic: Bandit CNC  (Read 7437 times)

Bandit CNC
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
I have a big mill with a Bandit CNC controller.  Currently basically functional.  Does linear moves fine.  I can't seem to figure out circular interpolation, but the important part is that the drives/motors do work.

I have a Galil 1830 controller and breakout board.  I'm trying to decide if I should interface to the Bandit amps (step/direction) (I do have schematics), or yank them as well and replace with Dugong/Viper 200/Something.

My current inclination is to keep the Bandit PS, and amps and interface the Galil, and if I don't like it at some later date upgrade to the Dugong.

Any advice?

Thanks

Jeridiah
Re: Bandit CNC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
I second the motion. Go with what you have and see if it works.

Galil and Mach3 is a powerful combination.

If the current drives and PS supply work, why change it.
Since you have the Galil board and it works, why would you spend more money on something else? If you get the new drives, you would still have to get the Galil up and running, wouldn't you????

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
Yeah, basically what I thought.  I was going to tear into it this weekend, but instead spent my weekend at work.  :(

As long as the documentation matches reality, it shouldn't be terrible to interface this.  And will make for a sweet machine.

Thanks

JW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
I too was attacked by the overtime  >:D monster >:D this weekend but in this economic climate I will take it.
Post more info as you progress.

Mike.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I have a Bridgeport that had a Bandit Control on it, I started out trying to use the existing stepper motor amps but had lots of issues. I had to build up a go between amp driver using a PIC it worked ok. I ran the machine for a little while but it was very noisy causing weird things to happen. I had a lot better results with new stepper drives. Yours may be different than mine. Thought I would give a little bit of my experiences. Good luck with the retrofit.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
This system has 150V DC servos.  I think it's a later Bandit.  I had the version at one time, but don't have it in front of me now.

If I ever get time I'm going to take a swing at it.  Worst case, I learn the wiring and just have to do it twice.

Thanks for the input.  By noisy, I assume you mean electrical?  What PIC did you use?  I have a couple of dev boards around.  Or if you have docs on what you did, maybe I could fab something up too.

JW