Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:50:00 PM

Author Topic: Galil 2143 and Mach3 Gantry/Slave  (Read 4231 times)

Galil 2143 and Mach3 Gantry/Slave
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »
Just when I think I have everything right...
Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.  I have Mach3 configured as a gantry setup with X,Y, and A axis and have A as a slave to X.  Previously we were using the SmoothStepper and plug in and have opted to go with the Galil.  When using the SmoothStepper I could get movement at all axis.  Since configuring the latest Galil plug in and mapping the axis appropriately I can only get movement at the X and the Y and nothing at the A.  I have sent manual commands through the Galil controller and can jog the A axis so I know it is connected properly.  I turned on debug file output and to my suprise all the movement commands had a zero(0) component for the A axis which was to be slaved to X.  Ex.  "LI 95,120,,0 <41500"  I have all the proper stepper jumpers at XY and W and the plug in configured for proper mapping of the Mach3 axis to the Galil axis.  I have tried many variations such as using the Z on the Galil just in case there was something physically bad but the debug info points to there just being no component movement at the A axis.  I can readily test anything you can throw out there as advice.  Thanks all and may God bless you all.
Re: Galil 2143 and Mach3 Gantry/Slave
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
Fellow Mach'ers

I'm not sure if this was the intended design of the plugin or not but it appear as though it only supports one of the gantry modes in the galil command set.  When using steppers, I don't necessarily have encode feedback.  This is of no consequence unless you are trying to slave an axis using the galil plugin without encoder feedback.  The galil command to configure gantry mode only appears to support master position commands to the slave not master commands to the slave.  Maybe I'm not so good at explaining the problem but I'm pretty sure if you have chosen to use axis commands for the dros when using steppers, the gantry mode should default to the GA CA command instead of the GA A.  I am currently working around by using a custom notify message during initialization/startup to put in gantry commanded master position mode.