Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 09:04:03 AM

Author Topic: Few Tool questions  (Read 3108 times)

Few Tool questions
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:53:16 AM »
Hello I'm setting up my old biesse at the moment running on mach3 I've got it all running etc I'm trying to work out what the best way to do the tooling will be.

Currently there are 3 independant spindles ie 3 motors. I am only running 3 tools in total and wont be changing them machines only setup for trimming doors etc. I'm trying to work out whats going to be the best way to set it up.

Can I assign a macro to suit a T1 command for example when told 1 is selected i can also assign an offset to it?
Similar to a G-code offset. As this will always be the same offset and not change. Next is I need to turn on certain contacts to enable spindle to start and check that spindles goes down and has tool in posistion etc.

I have a VSD that controls all 3 motors which needs to be turned on just after contact is engaged and turned off just before contact is disengaged can I set this in a standard timer?

There are sensors that check that the tool is in place and where to router is (it slides up and down via air operated valve).

Im really not sure what the best way to control all of this is. I can set up seperate mcodes to turn on contacts etc. I could possibly use the m6start tand m6end to control the VSD but then i would run into probles with turning contacts on and off and motor would continue spinning as no stop signal would get to it.

Would my best option be to set up all the controls in the g-codes for the toold to turn things on and off or is there a better option

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Few Tool questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:41:54 AM »
Are the 3 spindles all on the same Z axis, with the individual spindles raised/lowered pneumatically? If so, then you can write a toolchange macro to turn outputs on/off to switch between spindles, and set up work offsets for the locations. You could use G54 for T1, G55 for T2, G56 for T3.

If each spindle is it's own axis, then use the swap axis command in your macro, but still use the offsets.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »
Thanks for that thought that would be the better way to do it just figured I should check you never know someone else may have an Idea

Yes the are all on the same Z axis in the described situation
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »
Tomcat

I've got a machine that I've just retrofitted with a mach3 controller, and 4 identical spindles. It sounds like you are doing the same kind of thing that I'm doing. I need to turn off the spindle that I want to change from, raise that spindle with a pilot air valve, offset for my spindle location, turn on contactors for the spindle I want, turn on the spindle drive, and turn on a pilot air valve to lower the spindle. I believe you are just a few days ahead of me. If you get your's done please post your macro so I can take a look. If I get mine done before you I'll post mine so you can take a look. Hope all goes well!