Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:32:38 AM

Author Topic: What i didn't make with my cnc machine  (Read 13868 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
Re: What i didn't make with my cnc machine
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes.  I've had tons of mistakes and I'm just starting;)  Mistake 1, not tightening the collet nut, which lets the bit slide down while working.  This happened a few times.  I finally bought the correct collet wrench and that problem went away.  Mistake 2, using the wrong parts to bolt down the stock.  This made things really loosey goosey and ruined several stock blanks doing this.  Also broke a bit.  Mistake 3, not defining the limits of the top and bottom.  That broke a couple bits.  Now once I defined all that, things have been good.  12 panels no issues for me.  I'm sure I'll have more mistakes in the future though;)
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
happily I've never hurt myself on a mill, but I've tried clearing steel lathe swarf by hand and ended up turning the coolant pink :(

and this one time* I was using a MIG welder with a sticky wire feed. the arc went up and down, my reactive helmet went on and off, and the flashing light and dark went on for severa hours as I tried to hack the wire feed into life. I felt really wierd when i left, and spent the next two days in bed with the fiercest migrane I've ever had. Well worth avoiding :P

*no it wasn't at band camp

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »
I had that happen to a toe where it was pointed the wrong way (not in a drill press LOL) and the nurse even said first "this will hurt worse than when you injured it" the pain killers being injected directly into my toe wasnt that nice either. But when she pulled it, words dont explain the feeling. However once the pain subsided it felt much better than it did pointing the wrong way. Btw I have been keeping the medical community well rehearsed most of my life. Usually a victim of speed and gravity, motorcycles!
Well parts may fly, tools may be broken, but i got hurt once and have never fogotten it.
I was using a simple drill press, 1/2hp motor on it, 1/4" drill at say 40 rpm to drill though some wear material.
To clear the chips i was using a wooden stick, but for whatever reason i started using the kevlar gloves to move the
chips aside. The drill caught the tip of the glove on my left hand, it just started pulling and wrapping the glove around my hand.
I was lifted off my feet and thrown against the drill press. I screamed as i watched the drill now start cutting the glove and
could feel my thumb being pulled on and wrapped around and over the adjoining finger. I could now feel the drill cutting my
ger. The thumb and finger were just wrapped around the drill and was watching it twist the glove and start cutting it.
As the buzzing in my head started and i knew i was going to faint, i kicked the wall and hit the cord knocking it out of the wall.
I fainted for about a minute and then came through.  F.....did it ever hurt!  I slid the hand down the drill and told the wife
that to i cut my finger off. I now felt no pain so i removed the glove. The drill cut through the skin to the bone.
My thumb was pulled  out of it's socket and rotated about 90 degrees or so. Because the thumb was over top of the
finger it pushed the nail through the skin. It hurt just as much when the doctor pulled the thumb to reset it back into the socket.
I took about 6 months for all to heal. I would say that the finger felt like someone hit the nail  full force with a 10 # sludge hammer.
SO don't thing for a moment that a small machine can't do harm or underestimate the power of a motor.

RICH
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:26:16 PM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)