Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:34:00 AM

Author Topic: IMP?  (Read 6846 times)

IMP?
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
Hello, I have recently joined this board, and am all ears! I just finished (i hope) building my first desktop CNC machine. It is an old Light Machines Sherline based unit, with new steppers, and home built controller. I have a freshly re-imaged PC that is dedicated for this use. I am pretty excited to get cutting, but I want to make sure I do everything right at first. So far, I have the machine up and running, I can jog the axis' without stalling etc. I have my step increments worked out, so that when I tell Mach to move 1 inch, it moves 1 inch etc. However, I have run into something I don't understand. I assume that if I have the software set at 10 IPM, it will take a full 60 seconds to move 10 inches? I currently have my X and Y axis set at 10 IPM, but it only takes 20 seconds to move the nearly 10 inches of travel in my X axis (I have yet to check my y axis but I assume it is the same). That would seem to me to be about 30 IMP. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for the replies, and I am sure there will be many more silly questions to come. -Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: IMP?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 04:09:23 AM »
can you attach your xml please.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »
   Thanks for the reply. I would love to. But, (In know, I know ::)). I don't know exactly what you are refering to. I looked through the mach folders, and found one labled "XMLbackups". Inside are 13 different files. ? This was the only reference I could find. I searched through the forum here, and wasn't able to discerne where I could locate it, or which one I need to post. Sorry for the ignorance, but I literally just started this CNC "stuff". Thanks -Jeff
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
Jeff,
  Look in the Mach3 folder, you will see these...or similar. Copy the one that you are using ( the one you click on in the Mach3 LOADER) to your desktop, then rename it so the forum will accept it, and attach it to your reply. JayDub.xml would probably work fine.
Then Hood'l fix ya up.
RC

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »
Here goes. I will attach the file I believe to be the one you are after. I have three of them- a "mill.xml", a "mach3mill.xml", and a "jeffmill.xml". There are also 3 shortcuts on my desktop (with those names) that launch Mach3. I don't know why there are 3 as I only installed mach once  ???. Never the less, I have only been using one for my sessions, and will attach it (it is also the largest one of the three as well). Thanks-Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 03:13:37 AM »
Ok I just checked with your xml and it is working like it should, ie if I am at X0 and command it to do a rapid move to X10 it takes just over 57 seconds, this is correct as you have the X set to 10.5IPM in motor tuning (60/10.5 * 10= 57.14285)
 The only thing I can think of is you are not starting from zero when moving the 10 inches either that or your steps per unit are not correct but I think you said they are as you command a move and it moves that distance.
 Can you explain exactly how you do this 10 inch move?

Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »
    Well, this may soung ghetto, but I jogged from one end of the travel to the other, and counted one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand  :D. I figured it would give me a ball park. I am not familiar enough with the software (still reading) to be able to time a given travel, but in my initial tests, it appeared faster than 10 IPM. Does the Jog rate differ from the calculated IPM? Thanks for your input and looking at my xml BTW. Should I delete the other mach icons (shortcuts) on my desktop and delete the other xml's in my mach3 folder ? -Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »
Maybe you are just too slow at counting ;D
If however it is definitely moving too fast for the distance check again that when you command a 1 inch move thet it moves 1 inch as that seems to be the only way it could be wrong, certainly according to your xml.
 I would probably delete the shortcuts, whether you delete the xmls is up to you really, wont do any harm deleting them and wont do any harm keeping them.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks, I will double check everything, and re-post when I have a more accurate answer for exactly how fast it is moving. -Jeff
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »
Well, checking back in. I found that I wasn't calcualting my moves properly, so my values for distance/time that were given were wrong in the previous posts... I re-checked my setup, and it is closer, but still seems quite off. I program a 9 inch move (which it executes within a few thousanths)(x axis btw), but it only takes about 29 seconds (give or take a "one-one-thousandth" :D). I would like to know how to time this move, (I assume I can do this in mach3 ?) for a more accurate measurement. Thank you for your previous input. -Jeff