Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:28:59 PM

Author Topic: Problems with jogging using latest ver.of Mach3  (Read 3455 times)

Problems with jogging using latest ver.of Mach3
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »
Hello again, i have a slight ( actually big ) problem with the jog controls after updating to latest ver.of mach. When trying to jog in any axis either with the touch screen or using the keyboard once the key has been depressed the axis will not stop moving even after the key is released. the carraige goes sailing along until it hits the limit switches. Most disconcerting. I have experienced a similar problem with earlier versions of mach  depending upon which USB port on the motherboard  i plugged the smoothstepper into. It still occasionally does funny things in jog mode using the older ver.  For instance, sometimes in step mode the stepper drive turns incredibly slowly. It will still stop at the requested increment say one millimetre but it takes forever to get there. Not sure if its a smoothstepper problem or mach problem. Any tweaks or advise greatly appreciated as its starting to get to a no confidence situation especially when jogging in Z with a tool in the collet. Using a desktop pc by the way not a laptop. Thinking of adding an MPG for jogging but will this cure it or will i still have the same problems?.
Many thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with jogging using latest ver.of Mach3
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »
What version of plugin do you have?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
Hello Hood, i am using the latest version off Gregs website . I have to admit i haven't tried using the latest ver. of mach with an earlier smoothstepper plug in. I'll do that tomorrow. But jogging in general has always been less than 100 percent reliable which is a pity as the rest works really well now. I could hook the machine up to a different pc and then i'll know for sure if its a USB problem with my current m/board. Also thought about buying the modio pendant kit from Peter Homann and running everything through that. Unfortunately electronics  not my strong point so reliant on someone elses expertise in this area.
Thanks
Scratch

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
There were issues with jogging way back in the plugins and I was thinking possibly you had an old one but looks like thats not the problem. Trying another computer might be an idea  also if you can power the SS from a 5v supply rather than using the USB to power it might help, presuming you are not already doing that.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
I have seen the same thing with the shuttle and smoothstepper recently.    I thought it was a bad shuttle so ordered another one,  same thing.   I have not had this problem before and bet it started with the upgrade to the latest mach version.   (SS version unchanged, at the latest).  My SS has always been powered from its own 5v supply.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:08:37 AM »
Having investigated further i have come to the conclusion that it may be a usb problem with the jogging as i can get it behave reasonably (but not perfectly) in one usb port yet when plugged into another it either doesn't work at all or it works for a few minutes then won't jog at all or it just races off to the limit switches. I am going to try a seperate 5v supply to the smoothstepper and see if that has any effect on my machine. Will keep you posted.