Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:41:51 PM

Author Topic: Heavy large scale gantry mill/router/3d carving 5 axis build  (Read 15307 times)

Re: Heavy large scale gantry mill/router/3d carving 5 axis build
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 08:23:31 PM »
Very nice job you have done so far.
Impressive in it's design and mass.
What will the max Z capacity be when done ?
I enjoy watching your progression.
Good work and thanks for posting,
Russ
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:21 AM »
Russ, Max Z travel will be in excess of 18 inches and the Z will be able to rotate around the Y axis 45 degrees on each side of Zero.  I'll post some pics of the gantry in the coming days. 

Been working on the alignment of the X axis ball screw. (pics to follow)
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »
Can a man have too many clamps? NO!!

Here I am setting up the ball screw for the X axis.

Once measurements were taken it went to the CNC mill to make the mounting brackets. Everything will be roughly aligned and then shimmed to precision near the build end.

Next step: Contemplating the 5th axis.. Here in place with yet more clamps... Thinking...
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
Been working on the electrical enclosure for the 4 G&L Servo drives.  Got luck at the local scrap yard and scored a enclosure box for $5.00  Got all my wiring done in a couple of hours this afternoon.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
Took apart a Dell computer that will be the brains of this beast.  I was able to shrink it down by tossing all the useless bits of plastic and brackets. I got rid of the CD rom and the diskette drive ( I could always plug one in if I really needed to but I can't see a reason why I would need to.)  It now fits nicely in to the control panel I scored at the local scrapyard a while back. Another $10.00 well spent!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
Now for the deep Z axis.  I hit the local scrap/recycling yard this morning and purchased a couple of pieces of 1 inch thick by 5 inch pieces of 6061 T-6 aluminum. This is the primary material I will use for the Z.  I started off by chopping to the length a piece of the material to mount the bearings.  A chop saw with a carbide blade made the cut quickly.  I'll set up the mill to true the end after rough cutting to length.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
A couple of years ago I picked up a couple of THK linear rails and cassettes at the same scrapyard for $10 for the pair.  I got 4 rails and 4 cassettes and some .5 inch aluminum. The rails are about 26 inches long.  An hour later I had it stripped down and a "pile o' parts on the table.  Bearings were well greased as you can see and are in excellent shape.  Time for some thinking..
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
Slept on the Z axis for a night and came up with a plan.  It will be based on the 1 inch thick by 5 inch 6061 T6 aluminum pieces procured at the local salvage yard.  Here the mill is happily plugging away doing a G83 routine for the mounting holes for the 4 bearing cassettes. A quick too change and it's back counter sinking the mounting holes.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »
Bearings and rails took an hour of so going back and forth with a run out gauge to make sure they are dead on parallel.  Once done they are tightened down and I'm moving to position the ball screw.  After a lot of thought I went with a somewhat unorthodox design for the Deep Z axis.  Rather then run the screw done the center I opted instead to run it to the side. This allows me to keep the two load bearing members as close together as possible.  Considering the stout constuction of this axis due to its unusual reach I see no problem with mounting the screw off center.  It's got a 19 inch inch Z travel.  ;D

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 09:57:20 PM »
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Lots of pictures to look at this time around! Thanks for the update.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."