Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:58:08 AM

Author Topic: Append depth of cut on the fly  (Read 3243 times)

Append depth of cut on the fly
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:51:19 AM »
One of the frustrating things I have found, when cutting a piece with my router table, is the need to stop the G code from running, launch LazyCAM, and load the G code into LazyCAM to alter the depth of cut. I have not experimented with the Z Scale function in Mach3, perhaps this would accomplish what I am trying to do: sometimes the cut is not deep enough (when doing something very touchy such as engraving into wood), or too deep. It would be nice to have a button added to the Program screen of Mach3, which could be clicked, and a dialog box opened for all negative Z depths to be appended by X.*********" (Positive numbers entered would cause the depth of cut to be shallower, while negative numbers enterd would cause the depth of cut to be deeper into the stock).  I don't know if such a function would be useful to all, but thought that I would mention it here to see what others thought.
-Mike
Re: Append depth of cut on the fly
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »
hi mate, from my limited use of mach 3 I've overcome this problem in the following manner.

Pause program (take note of current Z axis value), set manual jog speed to low %, jog up/down to required depth, click on the Z value readout box and re enter the previously noted Z value and continue program....that way the tweak is done by adjusting your zero on the Z and not in the program.

You don't always have to jog, if you know how much travel you want to add/remove just type over the axis values and hit enter :D

Hope this helps.

Dan
Re: Append depth of cut on the fly
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
Thanks Dan!
I will try your suggestion to see if it works for me. This is what I love about this forum, sharing the experiences of others there is much to be learned!

Again, THANKS!
-Mike