Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:59:52 AM

Author Topic: I'm buying a laptop. I'm concerned about the lack of printer ports  (Read 3254 times)

Recently, work has away from home, and I'm missing my CNC machine.   So I've decided to buy a laptop. I'm going to load Vectrics and Mach3 on it so I can make some models in the evenings, while in the hotel.   I went to Best Buy at lunch and evaluated a ASUS Intel 2 SOLO SU7300 for $699.00. It has an NVIDIA Graphic Driver. which should help when modeling Aspire solid models. 4Gigs of ram, 500 Gigs of HD. And and and it has an 8 hour battery life. That last part sounds unbelievable.

I thought you guys would be interested and make comments.   I'm concerned about the Mach3 and lack of printer port on laptops. But friend, in another forum says he's using the Smooth Stepper and it worked fine for him.   I'd be interested in your comments, or a link to other threads.  I'm guess this subject has been rehashed many times.  
Thanks for reading,
Dave
Re: I'm buying a laptop. I'm concerned about the lack of printer ports
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »
Mach3 is not supported on a laptop if using the printer port. SO don't be concerned.
It would work well with an external motion card but from the sound of it you won't actually be machining with this computer.
Mach3 works well in simulation mode, just don't install the p-port driver.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
OK I am wanting to development work on a laptop and transfer to the desk top driving the mill.  See any issues with this?  The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800.    

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:10:00 AM »
It should work fine :)
Hood