Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:27:55 AM

Author Topic: Taig Mill Tail Stock  (Read 11786 times)

Re: Taig Mill Tail Stock
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by driving extra weight? When I use the set up as a rotary/-indexing lathe, I use a NEMA 34 stepper (260 oz/in) with belt and timing pulleys. For now I use a motor from a rotary tool with gear reduction (belt and timing pulleys) to do lathe work. I will admit up front, I am not anywhere near my level in CNC lathe as I am in CNC mill. But that's only because I don't do it very much. At my day job, I design, develop, and produce proto type infrared cameras for a small company. I take the electronic components and draw them into my PC, and then design the housing and all the brackets, etc., around them. Then I just machine from my cad drawings.

Ken
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
Hi Ken,
sorry, I understand now. It was not clear for me how you were driving the 4th axis. You are using a stepper motor for this contained in the housing I presume which does not weigh a great deal so that is clearly not an issue. At first from the picture it looked like you had a large DC motor driving it - my mistake.

many thanks,
St.john
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »
Hi John,

Actually, the motor's bolt to the rear plate, (outside the housing) you just can't tell from the photo's. I plan on making a spindle brake inside the housing so when milling, the spindle will not move. Are you interested in doing some thing like this also?
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
Hello,

I have attached a few photo's of my 4th axis / lathe unit for my Taig mill. The variable AC motor is only temporary, to fast and not enough toque. But OK for the plastic an very light aluminum work I have done.

Ken