Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:34:37 AM

Author Topic: New machine - Jogging Problems - Suggestions?  (Read 8668 times)

New machine - Jogging Problems - Suggestions?
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
HI,

Im new to the forum, glad to be here. I just received my new machine, which had practically no support documentation with it, so Im really winging it, with minimum CNC experience.
The machine has 4X8 bed, has dual spindles, and dual 4th axis rotaries.  Its one of the 1325 models commonly seen, with 90 VDC spindles (3.5 KW). It seems like a decent machine.

I have the 3 axis plugged into my console, but the spindles and the rotaries are not plugged in yet.
Ive installed mach3 ver 2.63.  Im carefully and slowly working through the mach manual.  Checked the parallel port driver....looks good on my system, as far as I can tell.
Switched on the control console, CNC steppers initialized with brief vibration.

I tabbed to the Jog window, pushed Y+ button....machine moved Y+.  Pushed Y- button and machine moves yet again Y+.
I tried to jog Z and X axes....No response.   Only jogging is in Y+ direction using both Y+ and - Buttons or analogous shift arrows.

I PMed Hood and he suggested: "It could well be wrong pin assignment but could also be loose wires or even your drive is configured for CW/CWW instead of Step/Dir. Would need more info about your machine, would also be best to start a thread on the General forum as you will get advice from lots of people and likely get things sorted quicker.
Hood"

"your drive is configured for CW/CWW instead of Step/Dir."   Im uncertain how to check this.

Other things I thought to check are:
- Parallel port cable could be bad - get new one.
- wiring may be wrong - find and check a schematic for misplaced wires
- check wiring on stepper sockets plugging into console.
- Trace jog voltage from breakout board to motor, find any continuity breaks
- Run mach3 on another computer to check for same results

Im sure this problem has been discussed, any advice or direction would be great!

thanks in advance,

Warhorse in SC
jon.johanssen@gmail.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: New machine - Jogging Problems - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:41:18 AM »
Do you have a link to the actual machine as I am not really sure what you have.
With regards the CW/CCW remark I made, some stepper/servo drives have an option for encoder following and if your has that it could be set that way rather than Step/Dir.
Do you know the make/models of the drives? Could you take a few pics of your machine and maybe the inside of the control box and attach them.

Hood
Pics
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
Hood,,

Ive attached some pics of the machine and the components.  Maybe this will help determine where to start tracing the problem.
The BOB appears to be a very cheap one, and perhaps it should replaced anyway.

Thanks in advance

ND in SC
more pics of components
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »
heres some of the components
a few more of the components
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
pics
Warhorse components last pics
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:28:08 PM »
 ;D
Parrallel cable
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
Guys,

I checked the continuity on all the pins of my cable...all good, so thats not the issue.

thanks in advance for any advice guys

ND in SC
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:51:51 PM »
She's a beauty ND,
   Looked at the drive website and they mention "software configurable" for cw/ccw (double pulse) or step/ direction set-up for drives that look similar to these. Your model is not listed.
Just FYI.  http://www.leadshine.com/SupportList.asp?ClassType=Software

RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:41 AM »
YeS, try putting Sw 5 to On, I had a leadshine drive that the docs said CW/CCW was one way and I found it was actually the other so might be the case with yours as well.
BTW you will get the docs here for the MD2278 http://www.motion.nl/products/mcs/md2278d_mcs.pdf
Hood
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
Thanks guys Ill look into that about the Y axis.  I dont know where to start with the the X and Z axes which do not function at all.
Ill start tracing wires   :-[