Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:12:02 AM

Author Topic: Axis X encoder error  (Read 8246 times)

Re: Axis X encoder error
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
This is the reason why I decided against the Ajax/Mach3 system. I tried several times to get in touch with them to place an order, and no response. I hope you can get your system up and running soon! Their system seems to be the ticket for closed loop control with Mach3, but they need to work on support.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 09:10:12 AM »
Hope you get some answers KiloOne, just sorry I couldnt help :(
Hood
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
Scott at Ajax just got back to me with apologies and a few suggestions regarding noise on encoder lines. 

Now that I've started a thread, I will report back on the results.

I must say that even though it took 4 days to get some answers on this one, I am very happy with the support so far (after all this is Saturday morning).

I realize this is a new product but I think it is cutting edge and hope to be cutting chips.

When I placed a pre order inquisitive phone call I got right thru to Scott. 

Since then I have found him helpful and sincere, but maybe a little overworked.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
Good to hear and thanks for coming back, hope its easily sorted and look forward to hearing the resolution.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
Looks like the DROs only need A and B channels to operate (/A and /B not used to update DROs).

But, when Reset is clicked, the Mach Ajax Plugin compares at least the A and /A to get a signal level.  If that level is below 3V then the error is triggered.

With line driver output encoders this is no problem, however my encoders are SumTak LBL-041-500 5v 160ma open collector outputs.

The Tree325 Dynapath controller did not use the /A, /B or /Z signals and only had 1k pullups on the A, B and Z signals.

The schematic Ajax supplied simply showed to hook up an encoder straight thru with no pullups.  

Somehow the DROs updated even without pullups but the High state read only 0.012V and the low was 0.08V.

I attached the 1k pullups and was able to get a High state of 0.88V and a Low of 0.1V.

With 510 ohm pullups I get 1.3V High and 0.2V Low.

The Tree ran for 20 years with no noise problems so I am basically happy using the 510 ohm pullups which gives the MPU11 inputs 7ma in the 1.3V High state.

It looks like the signals go into an AM26LV32, BiCMOS, quadruple, differential line receiver.

The response from Ajax has been very positive and they are willing to provide a Beta version Plugin to me that has a parameter that can be set to turn off the 3V signal check when Reset is clicked.

Does anybody see a problem with this decision?  There are a lot of open collector encoders out there as potential upgrades so I hope this is a good way to go.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:32:54 AM by KiloOne »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »
Thanks for coming back with the info.
I would probably just try it for a while the way you have it and see how things work out.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 06:20:49 AM »
Hey kiloone,
I have the ajax dc drive and I seem to have the same problem except I have line drive output encoders with a high output of 2.5v and a low of .5v.  I am getting the same error message that you got and the reset button will not reset. Dro's are working just as you said.  My question to you is where did you get the pullups? Where do you mount them? Closer to the encoder or closer to the MPU11? Do you only have to do the A, /A or all channels? Thanks scott
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 07:00:04 AM »
Scott,

Glad to hear you have the Ajax drive and MPU11.  I am happy now with mine, just a couple small outstanding items.

Scott Pratt at Ajax did provide me with a beta plugin, I am surprised you do not have it.  It is an 8mb file named 'Mach 1.07b68.rar'.

Email me at kci@vaxxine.com, I'll put it on one of my sites and send you a link to it.

Their xml setup file has two new parameters that have been added (StopOnEncoderError and MessageOnEncoderError) and I set them both to 0, then I could finally carry on to tune the system.

I put my pullups on a buss bar between the encoders and the board.  If you have the 2.5v to .5 volt signals, nice and square already, you probably don't need to fool around with trying to get a higher level signal, just use the new plugin and parameters.

Dale
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:09:04 AM by KiloOne »