Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:26 AM

Author Topic: Fine Saw dust  (Read 11015 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Fine Saw dust
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
My CNC controller has fans inside to keep things cool.  My router is making a lot of fine dust that is accumulating in the controller,.  I have been blowing this stuff best I can with compressed air to remove as much as possible.  Is there a good way to protect the controller from all that dust?  If you cut wood you make dust must be some way.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Fine Saw dust
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Most electronics are kept inside an enclosure. There are normally cut-outs for the fans, which are covered with a filter of some sort.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »
My unit has no filter on it just slots to allow air to move through.  I have two fans insed like computer fans.  I am not sure what sort of filter material I can use to catch that finedust.  I could apply something outside the unit it's what to use, it will have to be rather fine but still let air through.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
NormB

In your situation i would put the enclosure in a purpose built cupboard.

This would need to be of sufficient size to allow air to circulate without a build up of heat in the enclosure.

There are dedicated devices for computers that have an alarm if things get to hot.

As you seem to be using it for woodworking this will be an easy task for you. ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
I have one fan at the bottom of my electrical cabinet on one side and another at the top opposite side.  The bottom one blows the air in and the top out. My solution to the dust problem is to use a duct through the wall to use outside air to cool the cabinet. End of dust problem.

Dave

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
An air conditioner filter and placed outside the fan for an buck cut up into little squares would make a cheap filter that should do the trick. Just change them often.
RICH

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
The first step is to keep the sawdust out of the air! Use a good dust collection system with a 3.5 micron or smaller filter. The fine dust that is accumulating in your control is also very bad for your lungs. I put off buying a DC for years and finally went and spent the $350 or so bucks and it has been one of the best investments I have ever made.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
Right on Jeff,
A friend has a neat setup. He used a large shop vac which is located outside in his shed and it's vented to the air.
Used PCV pipe for the ducting ( cheap compared to thin walled duct tubing ) and works quite well. He doesn't have the noise from the vac and gets rid of the dust. Your safety point is well taken and some of the imported woods can be just down right nasty. Especially if your allergic to them.
RICH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
I would definitely agree that the first line of defense should be an adequate dust collection system (for your electronics, AND more importantly your health). However, I wouldn't discount the additional benefit of a filter for the enclosure, either. Like Rich stated, cut up a household AC filter, or make a holder for a square/rectangle pleated automotive filter.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
For your intake filter , get an automotive K&N filter the shape you need . They're not the cheepest , but will last forever.

Ed
Ed VanEss