Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:19:04 AM

Author Topic: New SS user seeking Mach info  (Read 4865 times)

New SS user seeking Mach info
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »
Hello All,

I,ve just recieved my SS. . . . Installed and working no problems.

Got a few Q's that i,m unclear on regarding Mach wonder if somebody would be kind enough to clear them up. ( I have tried to find out looking at other post's but no joy!!)

#1 What do i set the kernal freq to in mach, i think i've read some where that you leave it set at 25khz. .? is this correct and does changeing it have any affect to SS.?

#2  In the SS config plug, regarding Max step freq. Do i just set this to a freq higher than i,m likely to use or his there some calculation to workout the right setting, also what about the controller Freq setting again do i just pick a middle of the road setting or can it be calculated.?

I,m using a laptop and steppers, sorry if this is not enough info but i'm quit new to cnc and still learning so please ask for any info that you may need.

Any other tips etc to get the best out of a SS.?

Thanks
Dean

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: New SS user seeking Mach info
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
1) Don't mess with teh kernal freq in Mach. It is not used for the SS.

2) I've explained this a couple of times on this section of the forum. Check this post for more information: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13762.msg90877.html#msg90877

Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:50:01 AM »
Thank you,

I just looked for a post with a similar question being asked. Didn't expect to find answer in the middle of post!! . . .

Cheers.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
Not sure if Jeff mentions it in the other post or not, or for that matter whether its still true but set the kernel in Mach to 25KHz or you will get wrong feed rates showing in the DRO. Actual feed will be correct but DRO will read wrong. As said I am not sure if its still that way but was during the Beta testing and likely is still that way.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:46:43 AM »
Ah ah funny, i,ve just read about that in another post somewhere, thanks just the same.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:55:54 AM »
Didn't expect to find answer in the middle of post!! . . .

Yeah, that's why I linked to the exact post in the thread. I should write that up and post it separately as I think most folks just leave the SS at the default settings due to not understanding how to come up with the correct settings.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt