Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:02:18 PM

Author Topic: Beginner on setup Galil PCI card...  (Read 3439 times)

Beginner on setup Galil PCI card...
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
Hello people,

Very nice to read all the progress on the Galil cards, forgot about the project last 2 years because it was in beta state...
Now i almost couldn`t believe what i was seeing... The project is released by Artsoft with a plugin.
Thumbs up for the people that made this possible, thanks a lot!!! really appriciate the thousends off hours work you are giving away.

I`m a student and been busy the last 4 years with designing and optimizing a small very precise benchtop mill.
Maybe you guys cann give me some pointers about the proces and basic setup of a Galil PCI card.
Imagine i buy a nice core 2 duo etc. pc and a Galil DMC-1832 PCI with cable and BOB.
I have for this card the following questions:

1.   - I install Windows 7 32bit and Mach 3 and optimze the pc.
      - Put the Galil PCI card in the pc and install it with the driver it comes with. (or do i need other ones?)
      - Registrate the Galil card
      - Run the Plugin made by you guys to connect the card with mach.
      - Configurate the setup screens from the Galil setup program and mach.
      - wire the BOB and servo or stepper drives (also possible for servodrives with step and direction?)

2.   - The servodrive takes the step and direction from the breakoutboard and a encoder signal from the motor.
      - Does the Galil also get a encoder signal through the BOB from the same encoder that feeds the drive, so is it closed at the drive or at the controller?
      - Is a stepper closed at the controller?

3.    - I only want simple precise movemend off 3 axes and soft and hard limits with homing though index pulse,
         also i want to use this setup for a 3 axes lathe with only switching motor and encoder cables,
         is this possible with no programming in computer lanquage? (just a setup file or swap axes)

4.     - Does the econo card has a problem since it doesn`t talk binarie code in regarding with the fast and precise movement off the 3 axes?

5.     - Does the card uses the S-shaped acceleration profile that is programmable?

6.     - Am i losing my mind..... thinking i will ever setup such a nice system?

Got a lot more questions, but think this is enough for now?

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Roy B.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:44:03 PM by veteq »