Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 04:12:33 PM

Author Topic: Problem with the gear cutting wizards  (Read 11038 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the gear cutting wizards
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »
Yes

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:56:41 AM »
I was using 2 bobbins on a holder a set distance apart to form the cutter as per Ivan Laws book, anyway after messing on for a few evenings I had it set up and formed the 18 tooth cutter then moved onto the 12 tooth cutter, however my oil hardening steel seems to have a section of hard lumps in it just at the wrong place and it made a mess of my form tool.
So I bought some for £18 each, I was just fed up with wasting time when all I'd wanted to make was 3 gears.

I do have the licence for NF wizards and have used them no problem before for other jobs but I've never used the gear one.

Steve
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »
You've hit on the very reasons that I built this hobbing machine. Now we have CNC - !

This 'Eureka' is quite a contraption, sort-of a pain to set-up and use and s-l-o-w may not quite describe it. And unnerving to operate - sounds like three skeletons masturbating on a tin roof.

Rikity- Clackity - rickity - clickity - rickity - clackity etc, etc....

Enough about that!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »
Hi guys,
  Searching all over for info on this intriguing contraption and can only find a video of something similar ? ? ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ8kyC_bpHs   
and the patent from S. M. Balzer.   
http://www.google.com/patents?id=PblfAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=535127&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Found 1 other video link but it was dead.
Just out of curiosity, I wish to see a video of an original model in operation. (not the skeletons though) ;D
Know of any ?
Thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:45:59 PM »
That's it....except that he is cutting a hob. The original design was to make standard cutters using the method similar to what RICH described for the tool. Making the hob makes more sense due to the fact that you don't need to be concerned about the involute shape - it's a basic 14.5 degree acme thread pitched to the diametral pitch lead.

That's a good video - may inspire a modification to the one I built to make hobs. He used a master thread rather than the lathe lead screw.....wonder why?

Off topic again.....sorry Steve....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:51:12 PM by BClemens »

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »
Yes that's just like it, but as Bill said they don't normally get used like that.

After a bit of messing with my subroutine I got it all working and I've cut one set so far.
I had to move the sub below the main code and I forgot to add a return at the end of the M99 so mach didn't see it and only ran through once.

Below are the results of the first run, it looks good so far, just have to see if it's the right size ;D, should be as the step is the bottom dia of the tooth and the cutter left very faint marks on it.

Steve
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
Very good! Good photos.

Not sure why but I've always liked gears - like they are a science. Very satisfying to make a set that run sweetly together.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
Thanks for the link interesting stuff. Though Steve was making little tiny stuff.
RICH
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
Yes indeed Steve, looks really good !
Sorry for the side track.
Thanks go to you and Bill for the interesting thread.
Russ

Lot of good info on your doc there Rich. I thought Steve was cutting dinky gears too. Guess he is....in a way.  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:23:12 PM by Overloaded »

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
pah, can't you see that my picture was way bigger!
In fact you can see my gear hanging out of his back pockate ;-)

Because of the way my Z is driven I've had to make the blank double ended so I don't waste the material, so I just have to turn it round and true it in the 4 jaw chuck and check the centre then cut again with the other cutter for the 12 tooth gear.

And yes they may be small but their me babies so their perfect :-) (one bottle of wine and 3 bottles of cider later)

Steve